OBD1 4L60E Scanning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2s9je0af

Reaction score
I have tunerpro but I don't see a way to read anything other than P,Drive. Is there software that can get at the transmission codes/live data for a 1994 w 4L60E? I can't seem to get 2nd gear (slow or not at all). If I directly shift into 2nd I can get into 2nd immediately. I don't think I have 3rd or 4th.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tunerpro but I don't see a way to read anything other than P,Drive. Is there software that can get at the transmission codes/live data for a 1994 w 4L60E? I can't seem to get 2nd gear (slow or not at all). If I directly shift into 2nd I can get into 2nd immediately. I don't think I have 3rd or 4th.
Unplug the case connector, fire it up and put it in drive. You will be in third gear. If it moves forward, trans 3-4 pack is likely viable. If it doesnt move at all, trans has to come out for overhaul.

Check Snap On scanners as I think they are capable (with the applicable obd1 adaptor connector), of rendering live OBD1 trans and engine data. Same with a TECH1 or TECH2, I believe.

For second, check servo travel - should be between .050-0.090. If its within that range. Drop pan and air check servo (you'll have to remove valve body to air check the second gear servo piston).

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tunerpro but I don't see a way to read anything other than P,Drive.
What PCM do you have and, did you match the correct .xdf mask to it?
Like, a 7427 uses "Advanced A217 $0D TP5 v251.xdf" file, etc.

www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?20-GM-ECM-Bins-TunerPro-Definition-Files-Wiring-Diagrams-Tuner-Info

2s9je0af

Reaction score
Perhaps not... I had that laptop set up for my 93' suburban. Since it was working on the 94' I didn't mess with it. I think 93' might have been different as the 1st year of the 4L60E in GMT400s.

Trlrider

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are really no transmission codes available on the '93/'94 transmissions. The OBD1 system is just not that advanced and there are only a couple of transmission parameters you can mess with. I have not opened the file on my Burb for at least a year, so I do not even remember what those parameters where.