Nv4500 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
I was driving on the free way in my 95 k1500 the other day and started getting a weird pulsing sound every other second, that I thought was a tire issue, but we have narrowed it down to my nv4500 tranny, it only does it in 5th gear at any speed all the other gears work fine. I am completely stumped, tranny oil is in it and still good, shifts smooth, but it almost feels like 5th is starting to slip a tiny bit, every pulse the truck slows down and speeds up a little bit. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's an issue with the NV4500 where the nut holding 5th gear on can come loose. Not sure if that's what is happening with yours but if 5th is the only thing giving you trouble....I'd have it looked at by a good shop, quick. You don't want to spend what it costs to rebuild that sucker the right way. Tough as nails but a small issue or two just like anything else.

Here's some more detail on 5th gear problems: https://www.quad4x4.com/NV4500 5th Gear Failures and Solutions.htm but you may want to research it some more before doing anything, other than, stop driving it for right now until you get it fixed!

You probably already know this but be 100% sure to always use the correct lube (GM Synthetic Transmission Lubricant, P/N 12346190) or the synchronizers can become damaged.

Richard

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
Thank you for replying! i honestly dont know where to start, haha but yes i know to run the right oil in it, and ive never experiencd a pusling light vibration like this, and ive read on the 5th gear problems before but i cant find any info if theyve ever had 5th gear problems with the 350 5.7L, all i can find is on the cummins and the 6.5 chevy