Nv4500 clutch advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
1992 K3500 6.5/NV4500

Had a horrible noise from the clutch area. Pulled the front cover off the bell housing and fished this out . The transmission was shifting with no issues, but I’m a assuming this is part of a spring from the clutch plate itself.

I plan on ordering a clutch kit in the morning and start on pulling the transmission out. I don’t have much experience in this area so I’m hoping someone will stop me if I’m wrong.
Thanks

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, looks like it. If your clutch hydraulics aren't in the best shape, I'd consider them at the same time.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got everything pulled apart this morning. This truck has a dual mass flywheel so I’m guessing the spring shrapnel must have worked it’s way out of the flywheel. The pilot bearing was also shot but the amount and type of material I found in the bell housing don’t seem to be from the bearing alone.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I would put a solid flywheel in, those dual mass are known to be time bombs.

I'm a fan of SPEC clutches, whenever I have to replace I go with them. Stage 1, 2 or 2+ for stock or lightly modified street vehicles.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finished up a solid flywheel conversion this morning. Went with a reasonably priced Perfection kit from Rockauto. The truck only rolls about 150 miles a year around the farm so I think it will be good enough for me.

Only hiccup was the front flywheel cover plate rubbed the new flywheel and made a horrible noise. Had to remove the starter and slave several times to bend and grind on the cover to stop the rubbing.