NV3500 information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Since it seems to be a lot of negativities or just simple misinformation about the 3500, I'd thought I'd do some research and post some information that I've learned about it.

I spent about 3 hours on google and this was the only site I found that had more than just basic information(gear ratios, years, etc.) So far this is the only one that explains how they were built and other tech info.

If you're know these trans in and out, or if you're a GM tech, please share what you know.

Some excerpts from that site I found interesting:

"A special synchronizer, different from the others, was designed to clash if the driver tried to get into reverse at a speed over 5 mph — perhaps by forgetting that it was a five-speed and not a six-speed."

"5W30 engine oil does not contain additives for the use in manual transmissions. Also, additives in the standard gear and the axle lubes will etch the bronze synchronizers and 80W oil does not flow properly into the NV3500 bearings. The use of regular gear and axle lubricants in this transmission can cause destruction."

Source:
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/NV3500.html

mrvsfriend

Reaction score
Idk how the reverse lockout works, but I thought it was weird that reverse isn't synchronized on these transmissions, at least mine wasn't, I understand some were. They have the cone machined but they skip the synchro ring, the reason your gears grind when you go from forward to reverse.

You will want to use the gm synchromesh oil, I forget the weight. I believe this has to do with the sintered synchros, they're porous. When I rebuilt mine I found that all of the new rebuild kits come with machined synchros, my guess would be after swapping them out I could have ran regular gear oil, but stuck with synchromesh just in case.

The NV3500 was a joint venture between GM and Chrysler (new venture). The NV3500 with a different bellhousing was used in the jeep liberty, dakota, and ram pickups.