Np 243 tranfer case issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Murphy,

I just did my 241 and I had the clunk in reverse as well (transfer case would pop into neutral). Pretty sure it was the busted factory output shaft snap ring that was allowing the whole shaft to slide about 1/4" back and forth inside the transfer case.

From what I hear, your 243 is very similar to my 241. It was relatively easy to tear my case apart, find everything that was broken/damaged, order new parts from one of many distributors and get 'er done on a Saturday afternoon with a 12 pack.

Get the upgraded output shaft snap ring. Much beefier. Not easy to put on with cheap China-harbor Freight snap ring pliers. (You could also do the slip yoke eliminator.. I opted not to.)

My rig is running smooth now. 4WD is quick and easy.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you have it opened up on the bench you might also want to address the pump/case rub issue before it happens

urb0123

Reaction score
I just replaced the snap ring on my 241 in August. Similar issue, grinding noises, but mine seemed to happen only in 2nd gear and it didn't matter if I was in 4WD or not. Was an extremely easy fix. I didn't even have to remove my transfer case from the rig. I just pulled the rear drive line and the end housing from the transfer case. If it's your problem you should see broken bits of the snap ring when you pull the housing. I'm hoping that's your issue.

They make upgrades to prevent it from happening ever again. This is the one I picked.

Was a real bugger too. I had just rebuilt my transmission, my second attempt, so I thought I had screwed something up. I let it sit for almost five years and then spent months tearing down the transmission and triple checking everything because I couldn't find anything wrong.