Not so enjoyable rust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would look for a truck from the southwest and just start with a rust free truck. Cheaper in the long run. I was fortunate to find a truck that had come to New England a couple years previously from Arizona. They are available I had only watched CL for about a week. The add didn't even mention it was a western truck , It just said Chevy truck 6 cyl. no rust. As seen first time in Previous owners yard.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
That one looks CLEAN! =) I've been looking around but it's difficult to find one with the 5 speed, 5.0 or 5.7 and extended cab.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
No.

That's like trying to apply a band-aid over a cancerous melanoma and hoping to have it surgically removed in a few years.

By the time you get to it, the rest of the truck will be junk anyways. Be realistic, it's already 20 model years old. As mentioned, rockers and cab corners are structural components, any repair needs to be structurally sound. Body work is expensive, both in terms of labor and materials. You don't get what you don't pay for.

that's EXACTLY what happened to my '90 K/5....the PO had some guy make new rockers and cab corners.....when i got it she was still salvagable, after 3 years....not a chance within my means....my seat went through the floor.....had to let her go.

Reaction score
sad day =( I was looking at one of the other posts on this site, and it seems that there is specs on the frames for these trucks. it gets me thinking "dreaming" that if worse comes to worst would it be possible to take those specs to a steel worker and get a fresh frame manufactured and build one fresh from the ground up? the cab and bed steel would follow than just slap the rest in once a shell is completed? I only ask because I love my truck and it would be sad to see them disappear altogether in the years to come because of rust. It would be comforting to know that they can be built again with the collection of blueprints

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I would look for a truck from the southwest and just start with a rust free truck. Cheaper in the long run. I was fortunate to find a truck that had come to New England a couple years previously from Arizona. They are available I had only watched CL for about a week. The add didn't even mention it was a western truck , It just said Chevy truck 6 cyl. no rust. As seen first time in Previous owners yard.

You must be registered for see images attach

next year i'll be in the market for something similar...a Silverado spec 2WD with a 4.3 and 5 speed.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
For a guy, no, maybe two guys. Just kidding, if i took of the cab and cleaned everything up i would put POR15 on it, first with the degeaser and then the etch they sell. It would last a long time.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
For a guy, no, maybe two guys. Just kidding, if i took of the cab and cleaned everything up i would put POR15 on it, first with the degeaser and then the etch they sell. It would last a long time.

No, it wouldn't.

Rust starts from inside the panels and works outwards. Even if you could stop 100% of the visible rust, it will still bloom within the seams where the pinch welds are.

It's a never ending battle. POR 15 isn't much better than Tremclad to be honest.... it's well marketed.

I would sandblast and paint every day and twice on Sunday before using POR 15.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
You do realize I was talking about the frame which is U channel from the front cab mount back. Yes you can clean it up and prevent it from rusting.