North East Texas Shop Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a shop in the east Plano, Allen, Mckinney area that anyone would recommend for doing an LS swap. Bonus if they can track down a good engine, Craigslist is pretty bare.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ever find a shop? Right now I have a couple in mind but that's just based off a Google search.

I've got mine up at eagle transmission to get a few basic things worked out but most of the things I need done I want to be upgrades/swaps and that's not something they really do.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked with Stett Performance just after I posted this. We talked about doing a 5th gen swap and he gave me a ballpark quote. It was more than I was expecting, but he's actually just down the street and I don't have room to do it myself. And he had a source for the motors and transmissions.

So I had to save up some money and I'm not quite there yet, but hopefully by fall I'll have enough. Now keep in mind all this was right as COVID was taking off and I don't know if he's still there or not. I was going to wait until I had all the money on hand before getting back with him.

Otherwise, I had contacted Vorschlag in Princeton to see if they could help with a custom brake setup, but they were only wanting to do full race builds. They recommended DFW speed shop who was started by one of their former employees, and their instagram shows plenty of activity and they have a 2dr Tahoe they did a turbo L83 swap on so they seem like a good option too.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stett is actually one of the shops I'm considering. The other is R.D. Garage, this is from a recommendation but they seem to specialize in Hondas and have staff that are less experienced than what I'd hope for, though from what I hear the work is excellent.

What was the ballpark quote Stett Performance have you? I'm not looking to do major performance work yet but it would be nice to have an idea of what to expect.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said it was going to be around 12k I think. Before I talked with him I was thinking it was going to be more like 5 or 6k but we went through it all and with labor and some extras like gauges and 5th gens need a power steering kit and some other stuff, it added up.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He said it was going to be around 12k I think. Before I talked with him I was thinking it was going to be more like 5 or 6k but we went through it all and with labor and some extras like gauges and 5th gens need a power steering kit and some other stuff, it added up.
Wow, for a 5th gen all paid that seems really good. I'm sure you could go for a previous generation for some savings but if I can get a modern LT for that price it might be worth it.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah he said he really liked the 5.3s with a 6 speed auto. If I recall he said he could get them for about 2500 at the time. It may have changed now with inflation, used car prices, computer chip shortages, etc.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's less impressive if that just for a stock L83 but I also don't know what all is included with that, you said they gave you the numbers and those were good. I'll just have to talk to someone myself when I'm getting ready for it.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they might be closed. They haven't posted on their socials in a while and aren't picking up calls or returning voicemails or messages on their socials.