[LF] North Texas Shop Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's finally time for me to buckle down and get work done on this 89 GMC. I could do a number of things myself or with friends but frankly I don't want to. I grew up working on vehicles with a junkyard budget but now I can afford to have high quality work done with more care and knowledge than I have so that's the route I'm going.

I took her to a shop I like for general mechanic work but they won't do anything outside of direct oem replacements so I'm looking for a place to get her slightly modernized and daily driver ready.

While an engine swap would be nice I don't have the budget for that and all the safety and drivability work needed so I'm focusing on the latter. My current list is:
  • New breaks including swapping the rears to disks
  • Suspension, probably all new
  • Steering (alignment and it's loose)
  • new gauges
  • replace door/windows seals
  • New seats
  • Chase down a rogue power drain
  • Maybe some audio work and and LSD, if I have budget left over for fun

I may need more than one shop but I have no idea what shops out here are worth going to. So far I've found Stett Performance and am waiting for a call back from them.

Attachments

• 14232450_1276416822382714_8522852062121083802_n.jpg
    14232450_1276416822382714_8522852062121083802_n.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20160904_143246.jpg
    20160904_143246.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 5

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the suspension, steering, and brakes I'll be taking it to Miller Muffler

Still looking for a place to have the interior and electrical work done

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2k later it's done at its first shop.

Eagle Transmission in Lewisville did an oil change, replaced the serpentine belt, fuel filter, basically the whole AC system & 134A convert, the heater core seal, and cleaned out some squirel nests

Note to admins: I'm not trying to use this as a build thread. I'm just providing a record of my shop experience and cost in case it helps anyone else in the area out.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still waiting on a detailed invoice from Eagle Transmission, some of the labor seems a bit much but I'm waiting to see the full breakdown.

Over at Miller Muffler in Lewisville we've finished planning the build path and are ordering parts. I've got to say if they're as good at putting things in as they are at building quotes and doing research on a project then my truck is definitely in good hands.

Right from the start Nick was very transparent on labor, part models, and cost. To make sure everything I wanted was going to work the way I wanted he made some calls, did some research, as did I. We had a running dialogue over email for almost 2 weeks while we put together the plan. At the end of it I was supplying some parts while getting the rest from him. I got an updated quote with a generous offer that I'm very grateful for.

Will update again once the work is done. With part availability that's looking like at least a month out.