Normal 4L80E temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is coming from my original background as an aircraft mechanic, all oil temp sensors (hydraulics, etc) were in the return lines, this is to ensure that the coolers are doing their job. the simple fact is if you get up to 240* the damage has been done. you need to size your cooler accordingly. I would want to see 160ish empty and no more than 200 full load, 190 would be ideal.

Reaction score
trans temp should be measured in the pan or in the return line, do not use pressure port it will read higher IIRC. FWIW, 4L80Es have a temp sensor in the pan, it is in the data stream.... can get a OBD1 cable and datalog with free software. i would put as big of a cooler you can fit if you will be towing heavy. run it after the cooler in the rad.
You’re saying a 92 OBDI has a temp sensor in the pan? I’ve been all over mine and haven't seen it. Guess I can look again.

Reaction score
this is coming from my original background as an aircraft mechanic, all oil temp sensors (hydraulics, etc) were in the return lines, this is to ensure that the coolers are doing their job. the simple fact is if you get up to 240* the damage has been done. you need to size your cooler accordingly. I would want to see 160ish empty and no more than 200 full load, 190 would be ideal.
I’ve already installed it inline just BEFORE the stock cooler. Will try that for the first tow. Had to order a new gauge as the first one was defective.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Realistically, there's only two parts to the debate: Suitability with low-drag calipers; and the overall master-to-slave bore ratio. An "NBS" master cylinder with JN/JB/JD3, 5, or 6 brakes is just crazy from both perspectives.

Since the OP has removed the low-drag calipers, the only part that's left is the master-to-slave bore ratio; and I'm not going to touch that.

Thanks for that link. Downside is that he never mentions the effect of low-drag calipers on the fluid requirement from the master cylinder.

And it's low-drag calipers that cause the main part of the problems with the "NBS" master cylinder.
I don't know about the gmt400s but the squarebodies only the 1/2 tons got the low drag calipers.

You’re saying a 92 OBDI has a temp sensor in the pan? I’ve been all over mine and haven't seen it. Guess I can look again.
ok so, you need to check your connector on the side of the trans, if it is the original 91-93 harness (it will have a screw in the middle of the connector) then the temp sensor is in the valve body. if it has the newer 94+ upgraded harness (most likely) it a sensor in the internal harness that just floats in the pan.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
trans temp should be measured in the pan or in the return line, do not use pressure port it will read higher IIRC.

i have a trans temp sensor in the pressure port and it reads about 140-150ish normal driving. i have a big cooler in series with the stock radiator one.

next time i have it out, i'll use a temp gun at the pan and compare.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i confirmed with someone who knows a lot more than me... not detrimental if it is in the pressure port but it will read slightly higher than in the pan. if you have the option pan is the ideal location FWIW...

1997, it would be nice to get your fluid up a bit more 160-190 is ideal. you could consider adding an oil thermostat. doesnt have moisture like a combustion engine but there is a sweet spot for operating temp.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i confirmed with someone who knows a lot more than me... not detrimental if it is in the pressure port but it will read slightly higher than in the pan. if you have the option pan is the ideal location FWIW...

1997, it would be nice to get your fluid up a bit more 160-190 is ideal. you could consider adding an oil thermostat. doesnt have moisture like a combustion engine but there is a sweet spot for operating temp.

my thoughts also, my cooler is an LPD and supposed to regulate temp via that technology .....