Noise in my rear diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gohman94

Reaction score
Hello, I recently replaced my ring and pinion gear due to them being worn, and after I put everything back together and test drove it, I noticed that it whines like a tranny during acceleration. Looked online, said it was due to the gears not being properly adjusted. How do you adjust them? Is it something to do with backlash? Thanks.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a good video on a 10 bolt 8.5 rear end in a fire bird, I know that my rear end in my 97 Silverado is a 10 bolt 8.5 30 spline, so it would be the same set up. My truck is a 2 W.D. open diff. If you have a different diff. it will still be close to the same set up. I would suspect the ring and pinion set up is off. If you run it like that it will reunion the new gears. It is critical to have the set up correct. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh25DUyCWY8

JSIERRA

Reaction score
Kenny is right. The pinion has to be shimmed and ring gear adjusted just right for the teeth to mesh correctly. Best left to someone with experience to change them out.