No spark 1994 Chevy 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J romney

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 94 1500 Chevy with a 4.3v6, I was driving and truck all of a sudden died as if I turned the key off, got it towed home and have since replaced the whole distributor, ignition coils, fuel pump is new, relay and fuses are good. I have 12V on the grey connector into the coil and 12V on both pins of the black connector (unplugged from ICM and plugged into coil). Have absolutely 0 spark. The 4 pin connector into the ICM one pin has 0.9V and another has 0.6, other two have 0. Wondering if someone can give me some insight. Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 94 1500 Chevy with a 4.3v6, I was driving and truck all of a sudden died as if I turned the key off, got it towed home and have since replaced the whole distributor, ignition coils
Describe your "new" distributor. Did it come with an ignition module? Is it a used, rebuilt, or is it a new unit?
How many "ignition coils" does your vehicle have? I'd have expected "one".

Have absolutely 0 spark.
HOW are you testing for spark?

J romney

Reaction score
Describe your "new" distributor. Did it come with an ignition module? Is it a used, rebuilt, or is it a new unit?
How many "ignition coils" does your vehicle have? I'd have expected "one".

HOW are you testing for spark?
With the spark plug out and grounded

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF you used the spark plug, and IF it was fouled, you wouldn't see a spark.

Use a real spark tester, calibrated for HEI.

My favorite style:
www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Test from the coil wire, not a plug wire--because if you have a faulty cap or rotor, you might not have spark at the plug wire even if you had spark at the coil wire.

At this point, you haven't proven to me that you don't have spark. You may or may not have spark...but you haven't proven it yet.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IF you used the spark plug, and IF it was fouled, you wouldn't see a spark.

Use a real spark tester, calibrated for HEI.

My favorite style:
www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZXAWK/?coliid=I3S98D7T1J0RLJ&colid=2VLYZKC3HBBDO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Test from the coil wire, not a plug wire--because if you have a faulty cap or rotor, you might not have spark at the plug wire even if you had spark at the coil wire.

At this point, you haven't proven to me that you don't have spark. You may or may not have spark...but you haven't proven it yet.
if one doesnt trust their eyes there is always the good ol "HOLD THIS" approach to the unknowing child.. .may not be adviseable for continued living especially if one had a pacemaker or something but if you feel vicarious there is that. althoguh i havent gotten really good at distinguishing a healthy blue spark from a ****** barely igniting yellow one based on feel. so the sensitivity setting maybe some learning curve to it.

steveed

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the sticky section there is a post called 88-95 service manuals.

I would download this one from the 1994 section:

9442_DRIVEABILITY_EMISSIONS_ELECTRICAL_DIAGNOSIS_MANUAL ** NEW 5/2016

On page 86 section A3 they go through the no start and basically say get a spark plug tester. If no spark go to section 6A on page 306

Section 6A really goes through testing each component, it’s easy to follow and has all the specs.

I had the same engine and same issue, at least I was driving and it died. Multiple times. It would start again after sitting a while though. My issue was the temp sensor for the ecu (there are two one for the gauge) was bad and the truck was running very rich. It would foul the plugs. I guess after a bit of sitting they would dry enough to start up again.