No Power Grey Wire to Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theoretically, if you crank it long enough to build oil pressure it should fire up, unless your oil pressure sender is bad too.
yes! try unplugging the relay and starting it. seems like an eternity of cranking
But, even if it starts the fuel pump is still bad right? The pump is bad!

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes it sounds like your pump is bad. you can try hitting your tank with a dead blow or rubber mallet and see if it will start up

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The fuel pump harness issue I'm aware of applies to the pumps with a 2+2 (square connector). GM switched to a flat 4 connector, It looks like your pump uses neither.

Sorry your not feeling well.... I know you probably just want to sleep, not figure out a truck problem.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump harness issue I'm aware of applies to the pumps with a 2+2 (square connector). GM switched to a flat 4 connector, It looks like your pump uses neither.

Sorry your not feeling well.... I know you probably just want to sleep, not figure out a truck problem.
Thanks, I went to a Bruins game last Tuesday, IDK, maybe caught something there. But I’m glad I’ve got the 3 wire Weather-Pack and not the Metri-Pack that @xXxPARAGONxXx posted. Hopefully will resolve issue. So, any good ideas to drain 30 gallons out?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I went to a Bruins game last Tuesday, IDK, maybe caught something there. But I’m glad I’ve got the 3 wire Weather-Pack and not the Metri-Pack that @xXxPARAGONxXx posted. Hopefully will resolve issue. So, any good ideas to drain 30 gallons out?

Get 6 x 5 gallon jugs and an electric fuel pump. Sorry, don't know of a better way.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, any good ideas to drain 30 gallons out?
Replace the pump, then you can detach the fuel filter and run a hose into a bucket then jump the relay so the new pump runs with the key on. That’s how you drain the tank to replace the fuel pump…

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question, does anyone know what part of harness on these original sending units had issue? Is it just the 4 wire harness that comes out of top that goes to power? I also ran a quick test on this setup and seems fine.
You must be registered for see images attach
I won't replace a pump without also replacing the in-tank harness (along with the filter sock.)

They're not horribly expensive in the aftermarket; I don't know about from a Stealership or ACDelco.

I got mine from NAPA. They tend to be extra-long to fit as many applications as possible.
The in-tank wires corrode, the insulation swells, and there's no access to them with the tank installed.