No Power Grey Wire to Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the pump, then you can detach the fuel filter and run a hose into a bucket then jump the relay so the new pump runs with the key on. That’s how you drain the tank to replace the fuel pump…
Remember, I’m not at my best today. I don’t understand, I can’t replace the pump, until I drain the tank. What am I missing here?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't replace a pump without also replacing the in-tank harness (along with the filter sock.)

They're not horribly expensive in the aftermarket; I don't know about from a Stealership or ACDelco.

I got mine from NAPA. They tend to be extra-long to fit as many applications as possible.
The in-tank wires corrode, the insulation swells, and there's no access to them with the tank installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey I have a whole new sending unit, sock and pump. Well, NOS anyway. See post #5

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, I’m not at my best today. I don’t understand, I can’t replace the pump, until I drain the tank. What am I missing here?
I was being sarcastic. It was funnier in my head

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear to God, i almost posted, I’m half dillusional here and I think you guys are F’ing with me! :crazy: I’m just gonna drill a dozen holes in tank!
Sorry buddy.

Those copper ended jiggly hoses work too. They’re cheap too.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
racetronix probably has the correct intank harness if you are running an aftermarket pump like walbro

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks, I went to a Bruins game last Tuesday, IDK, maybe caught something there. But I’m glad I’ve got the 3 wire Weather-Pack and not the Metri-Pack that @xXxPARAGONxXx posted. Hopefully will resolve issue. So, any good ideas to drain 30 gallons out?

Factory tank with check ball in the filler neck, I assume? That's a tough one. I wonder if you could run a small hose down the vent tube, connected to a small electric pump.

Honestly, I think I would not drop the tank, but lift the bed. I've taken mine completly off, but guys have also just loosened bolts, and lifted one side and worked under it while it's safely secured.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
racetronix probably has the correct intank harness if you are running an aftermarket pump like walbro
This Walbro Pump is specific for this sender and is plug’n’play.