No fuel pressure at the rails after mpfi conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiegoon

Reaction score
So i have 1999 k1500 4x4 with the 5.7l vortec. I have installed the following within the past year (alternator, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, distributor cap, plugs/wires, starter, ignition switch). I just did the mpfi conversion and now the truck won’t start, the truck ran and started fine before i did the conversion but with a po304 missfire. I’ve double checked all the plugs twice. The only thing i think it could be is the fuel pump relay but it worked just fine the day before. Thank you for any help, i couldn’t find a thread with my same issues so i created this one.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jumper the relay and see if the pump runs. Pop the schrader valve if the pump runs. If the pump runs and no fuel, you are out of gas or the hose in the tank has disintegrated.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Jumper the relay and see if the pump runs. Pop the schrader valve if the pump runs. If the pump runs and no fuel, you are out of gas or the hose in the tank has disintegrated.

I put a used pump assembly in my 98 that I had laying around and the internal hose split and eventually failed.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

As silly as it sounds to unknowingly be out of gas in your own yard.... I did it with my Buick. I could not get the thing started and to stay running. It would only run on starting fluid. I suspected ignition troubles, since I don't think all cylinders have been firing any way, but after a few times of pouring gas down the carb and it running, I started to suspect fuel supply, which was about the time I was noticing low fuel in the filter (plastic see-through) and decided I'd put a couple of cans of gas in it.... that was it! I should try to start it again today, so I can mow around it.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As silly as it sounds to unknowingly be out of gas in your own yard.... I did it with my Buick. I could not get the thing started and to stay running. It would only run on starting fluid. I suspected ignition troubles, since I don't think all cylinders have been firing any way, but after a few times of pouring gas down the carb and it running, I started to suspect fuel supply, which was about the time I was noticing low fuel in the filter (plastic see-through) and decided I'd put a couple of cans of gas in it.... that was it! I should try to start it again today, so I can mow around it.

This sounds like something I would do to myself.

Only I would have the engine halfway tore apart before I discovered the real problem........