Nice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sure! That is, until she went to drive it!
Ever drive a V-gate shifter? Buddy had a '68 Camaro, 600hp BBC, 4.11's, M22 & a V-gate.
Got to drive it. Once!
"You're starting out in 3rd!"
"Oh. O.K."
Sitting at the light, trying to figure out how to get it from 3rd back to 1st. Cars behind honking. Ahhh, there we go, 1st! Go! Shift...2nd gear...Yes! Shift...oops! That's 1st again! Aaaarghhh! Damn!
Demoted. Back to riding shotgun!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol: I've never driven a v gate shifter but sounds eventful :)

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Sure! That is, until she went to drive it!
Ever drive a V-gate shifter? Buddy had a '68 Camaro, 600hp BBC, 4.11's, M22 & a V-gate.
Got to drive it. Once!
"You're starting out in 3rd!"
"Oh. O.K."
Sitting at the light, trying to figure out how to get it from 3rd back to 1st. Cars behind honking. Ahhh, there we go, 1st! Go! Shift...2nd gear...Yes! Shift...oops! That's 1st again! Aaaarghhh! Damn!
Demoted. Back to riding shotgun!

Lol did ya ever figure it out? What's the pattern like?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The V-Gate is intended for use in drag racing applications. That's not to say you couldn't use it on the street.

This is the Hurst design. (The style I attempted to drive with!)
This pic doesn't show the reverse lever. It's off to the right of the main shifter body.

You must be registered for see images attach

A little different design than this one from the ad. Same principle.

You must be registered for see images

The shift pattern is an 'H' pattern turned sideways. Stacked on itself, if you will.

Think of the lever as the control for right/left. Put the shifter in neutral, pull up on the lockout lever to clear the ramp and push handle towards the dash. Now your in 1st.

Let go of the lockout lever, side step the clutch at 6200, wait until 6800, stab clutch in, pull handle back towards you. Side step clutch. Now your in 2nd.

Wait until 6800, stab clutch in, push handle towards dash. Side step clutch. Now your in 3rd.

Wait until 6800, stab clutch in, pull handle back again. Side step clutch. Now your in 4th.

There is no side to side movement, just front to back.

Adjust launch and shift RPM accordingly.

To shift from 4th to 3rd push the handle forward. I don't think you need to use the lockout.

For 3rd to 2nd I think you have to shift to neutral, pull up on the lockout, then pull the handle into 2nd while still keeping the lockout held up.

For 2nd to 1st I think you have to pull the lockout up and over a ramp in the shifter while pushing the handle forward into 1st.

Reverse is a separate lever. Shift trans into neutral before engaging.

The lockout lever used to designate the gears is not as simple as just grabbing it. You need to grab & SQUEEZE with the strength & authority of Man Mountain Mike! Things are happenin' pretty fast @ 6800 rpm! So you have to be sure of what your doing! No wimpy grippage or hesitation allowed! Lol!

After some practice, these can be one of the fastest shifters while still utilizing a foot clutch.
Next after a Lenco.

Last edited:

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I had a 1974 GTO with an M22 and the Hurst inline shifter. I bought the car from a Honolulu dealer and they said the car hadn't moved since it was traded in because of that shifter.
No one knew how to use it.
It took me five minutes to finally figure it out so I could test drive it.
Once I bought the car, it did take a while to master that shifter.

I'd love to drop that Jerico into my '69 GTO, but it looks like that's not going to happen. We spent entirely to much cash on other stuff lately.
I'll just have to keep the built TH400 in it.