Nice to meet Y’all!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
Nice to meet y’all! I got a 1997 Chevy Silverado K1500 2 door Ext cab. 5.7
Went to crank my truck yesterday and NOTHIN! No click,No Crank,but headlights,taillights work fine.Had my daughter reach the starter wires and she felt the small one was loose. Had her turn the key while I wiggled wires on solenoid and Dash gauges started to work fuel pump kicked on,and the next time she turned the key to fire,big wire clicked almost like it wanted to actually start.I’m going thru all my grounds as I write this and cleaning them all before I tighten the small wire pretty sure it’s the wire from ignition..It’s just a real ***** to actually get in there and turn a lil ass nut! What do you guys think it is?! Any knowledge would be helpful! Again thank y’all for letting me join y’all’s Group!!! I look forward to hearing from all of y’all!
~ROLL TIDE~

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Went to crank my truck yesterday and NOTHIN! No click,No Crank,but headlights,taillights work fine.Had my daughter reach the starter wires and she felt the small one was loose. Had her turn the key while I wiggled wires on solenoid and Dash gauges started to work fuel pump kicked on,and the next time she turned the key to fire,big wire clicked almost like it wanted to actually start.I’m going thru all my grounds as I write this and cleaning them all before I tighten the small wire pretty sure it’s the wire from ignition..It’s just a real ***** to actually get in there and turn a lil ass nut! What do you guys think it is?! Any knowledge would be helpful! Again thank y’all for letting me join y’all’s Group!!! I look forward to hearing from all of y’all!
~ROLL TIDE~
If that little nut isn't holding the wire from the ignition switch tight, you'll have the results you're getting. These trucks really like to have all the connections good and tight, and clean and free from corrosion.
Been there done that, with my '97 crew cab and my '99 Burb, both L31 5.7 Vortecs.
I think the socket for that nut is 9/32" or 11/32"....

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
Hey Hotwheels! Thanks for gettin with me so quick!! Yeah I know what you mean about the connections and grounds etc are and like to be clean and tight. I’ve never had any issues with her,The 3 years I’ve owned her! Everything works like it should! Previous owner took pretty good care of the ol’ girl! I knew it would be really cool and beneficial to joining this ****! I seen a couple of your post on here a while back,So it’s really cool your the 1st person to respond!
Again,Thank you Hotwheels for the response and thank y’all for the acceptance! I look forward to many years of Friendship with y’all!
~ROLL TIDE~

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that the lock washer is flattened out or if it was a split ring washer it could have broken into 2 pieces and fallen out.

These are great for 1-time use but after that they are useless if you try to re-tighten them. I'd take that small nut off the starter and put a new lock washer in it and maybe a new nut also... then you can forget it about it.

Good option:
You must be registered for see images attach

Best option:
You must be registered for see images attach

And Welcome BTW! I love your avatar pic!

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Definitely want both starter wires tight. For the small one I find it easiest to use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a deep socket, which lets you fit the ratchet in front of the starter giving plenty of room for the ratchet to turn.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
~ROLL TIDE~
Make sure the connection is clean and tight. If so and you still get a click upon trying to start then get a DMM and test for battery positive at the small signal wire at the same time someone turns the key to try and start it. Should be relatively same voltage as what the battery shows on the meter. If that checks ok check main power cable at the starter for corrosion and make sure it’s tight. check grounds etc.

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
If that little nut isn't holding the wire from the ignition switch tight, you'll have the results you're getting. These trucks really like to have all the connections good and tight, and clean and free from corrosion.
Been there done that, with my '97 crew cab and my '99 Burb, both L31 5.7 Vortecs.
I think the socket for that nut is 9/32" or 11/32"....Damn! I cannot wait till I have at least 2 chevys! Yeah..Your right on the 9/32 I really appreciate this! I got pretty much everything scrubbed free of corrosion,Dirt and debris.Will post pics tomorrow! Have a great night Brother!

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
Make sure the connection is clean and tight. If so and you still get a click upon trying to start then get a DMM and test for battery positive at the small signal wire at the same time someone turns the key to try and start it. Should be relatively same voltage as what the battery shows on the meter. If that checks ok check main power cable at the starter for corrosion and make sure it’s tight. check grounds etc.
What’s up man..I’m gonna purchase a dmm tomorrow and have my Daughter in the truck to turn the key.I really appreciate y’all’s knowledge! From the looks of it,If someone can’t get their problem fixed on here,Someone isn’t following directions or something is terribly wrong! Y’all are super quick with responding to people’s questions comments and concerns! I love how whatever issue one is having..You can easily search for it thru the billions of threads! Lovin this gmt400 outfit!
Thanks again!
~ROLL TIDE~

DixieMafia251

Reaction score
:welcome: Some of my wife's relatives are from Gulf Shores (more from Foley) although, the last time we visited there was in 1990.

Got any pics of your truck? We like pictures. :waytogo:
Whaaaatss uppp maaannn?! Heck yeah! I say Gulf shores,Just cause most people don’t know where Foley is,but I actually live in North Foley 2 blocks North of (South Baldwin Hospital) on Hwy 59! It’s a small world after all!That’s pretty damn cool you know my lil small town! We probably know y’all’s kin! Kinda hard not to round here lol
I will post pics of the truck tomorrow and the progress I’m making,gettin this dang starter going again without throwin parts at her! I will keep y’all updated. Have a great night Brother!
~ROLL TIDE~