New wheel cylinder keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biga1987

Reaction score
My passenger side wheel cylinder keeps blowing. I just replaced everything but the drums because the drivers side failed after a brake fluid leak disentegrated the shoes. the drums only have around 10000 miles on them since new. idk what is happening. also the drum seems in spec but im going to have it checked soon. also when adjusting the shoes i notice that the shoes arent in contact with the wheel cylinder when i get the drum to fit snug. Idk what is going on. please help

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
If you have rubber brake hoses, it could have collapsed internally acting as a check valve. Pressure in, no pressure out.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on what rear end you have there are two sizes of wheel cylinders... one is bigger body and piston size then the other...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Den P

Reaction score
Did you ever find a fix? Have the same prob with the same indications. Worked great for three weeks... ebrake has been disconnected and is tied off to the frame. Could his be the prob?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you ever find a fix? Have the same prob with the same indications. Worked great for three weeks... ebrake has been disconnected and is tied off to the frame. Could his be the prob?
WHAT BRAKES?

If these are the crappy 1500-series twin leading-shoe design, disabling the park brake is a huge mistake. The park brake is an integral part of the adjusting mechanism. No park brake = no adjustment = low pedal. Twin leading shoe design has the adjuster just under the wheel cylinder.

If these are duo-servo brakes from 2500/3500 series, the park brake doesn't affect the adjustment unless the park brake is over-tightened. Shouldn't be an issue in your case. Duo-servo brakes have the adjuster at the bottom of the shoes, in the link that separates them.