new vortec engine replacement or 5.3 swap. $2K budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need a full harness for a LS swap in a 96+. Just the coil pack wiring an injector wiring. Add a 411 PCM an rework the stock harness some an the wiring is done. Pm lextech for more details...

But back to this, a stock 5.3 could still be done like this an possibly kept in your budget. We kinda got off track with the 383...

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
The "swap in a new motor" is going to be the quickest way to go. The 5.3 swap can be done, but it going to take a lot more time and effort. If you can put the truck down long enough to entertain a swap, why not just rebuild the one you have (assuming you can do that) and use the saved money for a couple of upgrades?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If it was me and it was just my dd id build a 355 for it out of the stock engine and id get a mail order tune on yhe 411

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

zchrisz

Reaction score
from what it sounds like a 5.3 swap is the way to go assuming you can keep it down for a short while to do the swap.

tuning is easy but a pain in the butt, i've tuned my supercharged camaro with the stock GM 7730 using code59, she runs good but a lot of time was invested to street/dyno tune it.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was me and it was just my dd id build a 355 for it out of the stock engine and id get a mail order tune on yhe 411

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

What do you not understand about me saying mail order tunes are a waste of time and money? People who go that route are either uneducated about the tuning side of things or just plain cheap! Maybe you are both considering your age. I have been playing around in this hobby longer than you have been alive so take my advice and never ever get a mail order tune!! There is no person on this planet that can tune a vehicle based off a "fill in the blank" worksheet!! And if you think that just adding 5 more cubic inches to a build is going to be noticeable than you are sadly mistaken. People who go that route are people who need new pistons anyway AND need to have their block machined.

superdave, the 5.3 swap is an option BUT having the truck down will be the issue. Id have to find alternate transportation during the surgery. Doing a stock engine replacement will only take a weekend though. Let me see if I can get some bites on the 383 I have go from there. I would love to sell it and be able to afford everything I need for a LS swap, trans rebuild and a temporary vehicle.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
from what it sounds like a 5.3 swap is the way to go assuming you can keep it down for a short while to do the swap.

tuning is easy but a pain in the butt, i've tuned my supercharged camaro with the stock GM 7730 using code59, she runs good but a lot of time was invested to street/dyno tune it.
I used the same 7730 ecm to tune the 383 I have when it was in my camaro. I ran the car for about 3 months with that computer and had no other option but to swap to a computer that could process information faster. I ripped the 7730 out and added the FAST XFI. I did a quick "driveway tune" just to get it running and drove it to the shop. First run on the dyno and the car picked up 99 rwhp!!! After some minor tweaking here and there we were able to get another 40 hp or so out of it using a very streetable safe tune. It was like driving a whole new car. I was amazed at what the FAST system did over the 7730 and that is why I am trying to hold on to it.
And I do understand that I am comparing apples to oranges here with the 7730 and the XFI but there is a reason why you see these FAST systems installed in the best of the best cars and trucks. They work and they work good.

zchrisz

Reaction score
hmm never had an issue with the 7730 and it was basically free, with my 5.0 TPI i lay down 380hp and 420 ft/lbs to the wheels and it purrs like a kitten cruising.

K30burb

Reaction score
unless using a boneyard 5.3 as is and just replacing seals and gaskets, and timing set for added insurance. the 5.3 swap with engine mounts, flat flexplate, crank spacer, longer crank bolts, ecm tune, harness mods, exhaust rework so the 5.3 manifolds work, radiator and heater hoses, 5wire maf, etc etc etc... likely around 3500. including the engine. if you are a real good thrifty shopper, maybe 2500. but you would have to watch for deals and that may take more time. I have done lots of these swaps and know the ins and outs. good luck and most of all have fun. happy motoring from oklahoma

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
unless using a boneyard 5.3 as is and just replacing seals and gaskets, and timing set for added insurance. the 5.3 swap with engine mounts, flat flexplate, crank spacer, longer crank bolts, ecm tune, harness mods, exhaust rework so the 5.3 manifolds work, radiator and heater hoses, 5wire maf, etc etc etc... likely around 3500. including the engine. if you are a real good thrifty shopper, maybe 2500. but you would have to watch for deals and that may take more time. I have done lots of these swaps and know the ins and outs. good luck and most of all have fun. happy motoring from oklahoma

1 year and 8 months later....