New to me Truck, What's first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustBudget

Reaction score
Results from compnine are... "Not in their system." Hopefully I wasn't charged for that lookup result.
Great color combo, one of my favorites!
I like it as well. According to the plate riveted into the firewall, its the original colors, but it looks like the gold was repainted when the tow mirrors were removed along with the pin stripes. It's missing most of the clear coat, so I'm looking into what the "Rat Rodders" do to prevent further rust and preserve the "patina." The common product mentioned is "Flood Penetrol", which is a self-leveling gloss paint additive. Kinda like what was mixed into those single stage car paints.

Last edited:

RustBudget

Reaction score
10 bonus points if you put a wrench (cheap Chinese one is fine) to change the belt with it
I left a vintage 10 inch Craftsman adjustable wrench behind the seat, does that count? Unfortunately the jack and tools were missing out of the back. It does have this black vinyl hanging pocket organizer right below the rear window, so plenty of crap-trap spots.

Yeah, FWIU they don't go back further than 90 or 91. I tried to get info on my 88 (through @1ton-o-fun) and got the same result.
So if the online RPO code by VIN sites don't have it, would a Chevy dealership have it?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I left a vintage 10 inch Craftsman adjustable wrench behind the seat, does that count? Unfortunately the jack and tools were missing out of the back. It does have this black vinyl hanging pocket organizer right below the rear window, so plenty of crap-trap spots.

So if the online RPO code by VIN sites don't have it, would a Chevy dealership have it?
The Craftsman adjustable wrench certainly counts and is overkill for changing the belt. 15 extra overkill points for Gryffindor!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One small piece of rubber that can cause major headaches is the one in the fuel tank that connects the pump to the fuel line. Mine was eaten away by the damn ethanol, looked like Swiss cheese. Truck would run, idle but not drive without falling flat on its face. Chased a bunch of parts before finally dropping the tank to do the pump and saw the culprit. But looks like you have a good survivor there, have fun and enjoy.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad you finally mentioned shocks. The overall theme is clear though. Prioritize the things that might leave you stuck beside the road and work your way though to a solid basic truck before you start adding bling or go fast stuff. The older the truck the higher the necessity to get all the basic stuff up to speed before hot rodding it.
Good luck and welcoome to the forum.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The current booster matches the black one. I know I have a 9.5 semi floater rear, but not gearing or brakes.
You've already got the big booster, and a 9 1/2" rear axle?

Sure you don't have a six-lug 2500?

Either way, that's great news. You've almost certainly got the JN/JB6 brakes already. That's what I upgraded my truck to. You're way ahead of the game.