New Suburban owner in FL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLC2020

Reaction score
Hello,

I just picked up my first GMT400, it's a 1997 GMC Suburban 1500 with the 5.7L 2wd. I was looking for a 2500 diesel 4wd, but swiped this up for almost nothing. Interior is near mint, body is good but has a little rust poking out at the bottom of the doors. Other than an exhaust leak and spongy breaks and no AC it seems to run and drive well. I'll be fixing the brakes, doing a full service on the engine/trans and putting on new tires. I might look for a set of stock wheels as well since these have been painted and I don't like the black.

Being in FL the AC will get fixed as well. going to start with a full service/fluid change first though then I'll tackle the AC issues.

I've always wanted one of these, when I was a teenager my father had a '94 GMC extended cab long bed, 4wd with the 6.5 diesel and I loved that truck. I recently aquired a 1995 Cadillac deville and a 1998 Camaro as part of my recent Facebook Marketplace shopping binge. I like the 90's GM products I guess.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from Houston, Texas. Looks like my Burb inside except mine is gray instead of blue. Blue leather interior is kinda rare from what I've seen around here and in the yards.
Previous owner may have painted the wheels because the clearcoat on them went bad; happens frequently on aluminum wheels in hot and humid Southern climate. My Burb has these wheels and this is happening.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think I'm going to just paint them silver and run them for now. I'm not looking for a show truck. Now to find the factory silver paint...
GM uses the term "Argent" for a lot of their trim silver colors. They're just being fancy; argent is French for silver. If you can find the larger spray cans of the Duplicolor truck paint, every make has shades of silver. I've used a Dodge silver that had big metalflakes in it, for painting steel wheels, and it looked really good with chrome caps and trim rings.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to just paint them silver and run them for now. I'm not looking for a show truck. Now to find the factory silver paint...
I second @HotWheelsBurban recommendation for the Duplicolor. They have a silver
metallic for wheels that's all but indistinguishable from the factory silver/argent.
You will be looking for Duplicolor part #HWP101, and you can find it everywhere,
from local parts stores to Amazon, etc. (See attached screen snap for details)

Note: Wheel prep will determine just how factory fresh you can make those
wheels look. For the closest look as you can get to the factory finish get
a nice, even covering of this metallic, and then afterwards shoot the wheel
again with a clear coat. The resulting finish looks factory *and* it can be
cleaned/waxed without worry of messing up the metallic look.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your new toy!

Attachments

• Dupli-Color HWP101 silver wheel High Performance Wheel Coating .jpg
    Dupli-Color HWP101 silver wheel High Performance Wheel Coating .jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 12

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In reply #6 I recommended the Dupli-Color paint, but didn't share any photos of what it looked like
when you used it. I just posted some photos over HERE in my 'other vehicle build' thread so that you
could see what can be done with restoring your original wheels for short money. (ie: Spending more
money on fixing the A/C vs spending it all on new wheels & having to ride around in the steamy heat. :0)

For what it's worth --