New sound causing me anxiety

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I noticed a new sound today on my 97 4.3… I’m pretty sure it’s coming from the distributor but definitely somewhere very near to intake. It’s more of a buzzing sound, similar to what a compressor sounds like when it kicks on, only it’s definitely not the compressor. Any suggestions on how to further diagnose or any potential causes? The truck runs great by the way…

thx1138v2

Reaction score
I finally got tired of chasing odd noises and decided to just drive it till it breaks and then locate the broken part. Sometimes it "fixes its self".

Another method I've used is get a 3' long 1/4" steel rod, cup one end of it in your hand around one end of the rod and put that hand over your ear. Then move it from location to location contacting the block/head/manifold/distributor body/etc with the free end. That can some times help you isolate the location of what is making the sound. It's a cheap man's stethoscope but it works. Otherwise spend a little money on a good stethoscope.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ To elaborate, something like this Lisle mechanic's stethoscope.

www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B0002SQYSM

But as stated, you can accomplish the same thing with some random objects and a little ingenuity. I've had decent results from a long screwdriver jammed through the bottom of a Solo cup. A real stethoscope would probably be easier to use and give more precise results.

Been meaning to buy one...