New Rear End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Have any of you tried the rebuilt rear ends from Oriellys or similar rebuilds? Do you have any recommendations for rebuilt rear ends? My pinion has some play in it, 10 bolt, and i have went through 2 used ones to find in a short time that they are worn out as well. I can't find a nice low mileage 14 bolt near Lexington KY so i am needing advice on a rebuilt unit with a warranty.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not just have a shop rebuild what you have? Or are you trying to upgrade to the 14 bolt?

Either way I can't say enough good things about Eaton carriers. Pricey, but I wouldn't spend money on anything else personally.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This makes me think that those of us who like the GMT400 trucks, and want to keep them on the road, looking good, and just desirable really need to have a place where we can store a "parts truck". I have seen lots of GMT 400s on Craigslist that have dropped below $1000 Canadian, and have some major issue of one sort or the other. If you can drive it before you buy it, you can discover what you are getting.

Maintaining your truck becomes a lot easier if you have a second truck right there for parts.

I agree with df2x4 that the best strategy for the OP in this thread is to have his existing rear end rebuilt with quality components. Or, if this is one of those situations where the OP really wants to upgrade to a 14 bolt, buy one and have a rear end specialty shop go over it before installation.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
The one in mine was rebuilt 5k miles ago by the only shop around that does rear end rebuilds. I need to find another source because they don't seem competent enough to do it right. All the used ones seem to be high mileage and have lots of wear on them.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There's a few ways that this can be done.
If you can find a mid-'90's Impala Sedan in the wreckers, look for this tag.

You must be registered for see images attach

If it doesn't have that, you can also check to see if it's a posi by turning the axles. A posi rear will turn both axles the same direction. A non-posi rear will turn the axles in opposite directions.

This is what you'll find inside. A real Eaton posi unit! Only thing that you have to check is the spline count. Our trucks use a 30 spline axle, as do most of the Impalas. The occasional Impala will utilize 28 splines.

They are totally rebuildable. Dirt simple to do.
But...they usually don't need to be done. If you do find a used one, one thing that I would recommend is a new center pin. They do wear & can cause probs if they are.
I've rebuilt several carriers & I'm no rear end expert. Only reason I did so was to mod them. (I can't leave things well enough alone! Lol!)
When doing the rebuild (or mods) you can decide how you want them to react to input, &/or how 'tight' you want the rear end to be via the spring tensions & the amount of clutches installed.
The ones I did would make the inside tire bark & chirp around 90* degree corners, both ways! But, this was under a high H.P/torque vehicle & it's what I wanted! It HOOKED in a straight line!
IIRC, there is a choice between 16, 18, or 24 clutch plates, & 4 various spring tensions. Stock springs, which work just fine, are the yellow ones as pictured. The spring tensions are I.D.'d by their color.

Now...once you have that, go to this website. Use their 'Dif Wizard' to find a rebuild kit. Even just to get some info on what the kit is worth.
These guys are worldwide. They're also very good at what they do. They know their stuff.
If you do not have access or knowledge of a rebuilder in your area, they can hook you up with one of their recommended installers.
They will probably have the rebuild kit in stock, or can get one in a day or so.
Let them do the install. You could probably leave the choosing of which kit you would need for the job to them anyways. Those guys will have all & any shims required in stock. Just something that they commonly use, anyways.

https://www.ringpinion.com/

This labor that it takes to rebuild these rear dif's isn't cheap! Figure around (in my case, anyhow) $700.00 for the kit & labor, out the door for a finished job. But, it'll have a warranty!

Last edited: