New Here, DirtFan21's 1998 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to throwing the PYO wheels on. After my wedding in June I plan to get some 285/75/16's, probably Cooper AT3's. Also found a factory Sport bowtie on Ebay, thought it woke up the front end a little.

Side note, I'm on my second set of Dorman oil cooler lines on this truck in less than a year. I have had oil cooler line leaks with 5.7L trucks in the past but this is getting a little ridiculous. Anyone else with a 454 have nagging oil cooler line leaks?
Many people simply delete the oil cooler for this reason, to many leaks.

DirtFan21

Reaction score
I have heard of guys doing that before, I don't tow heavy or plow so I think I could get away with this mod and not have trouble. I'll have to do a search to find a thread, definitely will be looking into this next time they start leaking.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Sharp looking '98. I had a '12 Silverado CCSB that I recently sold and got back into my '98 as well. Even had Cooper STT's on the '12. One of my favorite tires by far.

Not sure if I missed it, but what are your plans?

DirtFan21

Reaction score
Thank you! No big plans other than to maintain it and drive it. In the next year or two once finances play out after getting married I'd like to get back in a GMT 800 ext cab half ton, preferably an '06 with the HD hood and split grille. That truck with a 4" lift and 33x12.5's and call it a day.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
You'll enjoy that Vortec 454. I love mine. They're good engines, can't speak for much about the gas mileage but they'll pull anything lol.

Jealous of the HD! A buddy of mine had one very similar, year, cab, color, motor, etc. She was a runner too, traded it in for a 2010 CCLB dually Duramax, talk about a runner......

I've considered the oil cooler delete on mine but I tow way too much and she's getting a plow this winter so I'm stuck finding good replacement lines.

Anyways welcome to the site!

white97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with you on trucks being hard to find in good shape in Indiana, I drove 2 hours to find ***** and watched for a couple months.
your truck is really clean looking.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced my oil cooler lines on my K2500 almost 3 years ago with new gm lines from a dealer. They weren't expensive and they do not leak. The orings are very important and be certain to lubricate them when installing.

I have a new pair for my 454SS to install but when I removed them 18+ years ago, I somehow lost the adapter that bolts to the block (Mark IV 454s have the lines going into an oil filter adapter, not directly to the block like Mark V 454s) . The gm dealer wants way more than I want to pay for the adapter. I'd love to reinstall the cooler on it sometime.

DirtFan21

Reaction score
You'll enjoy that Vortec 454. I love mine. They're good engines, can't speak for much about the gas mileage but they'll pull anything lol.

Jealous of the HD! A buddy of mine had one very similar, year, cab, color, motor, etc. She was a runner too, traded it in for a 2010 CCLB dually Duramax, talk about a runner......

I've considered the oil cooler delete on mine but I tow way too much and she's getting a plow this winter so I'm stuck finding good replacement lines.

Anyways welcome to the site!

Haha I'm jealous of the guy I sold my HD to, I wish I had that truck back... I definitely like the torque of these 454 motors compared to the 350 vortecs, feels more like a diesel than a gasser. I'd really like to stay away from the delete if possible but I will entertain anything if I keep replacing lines every year or so. So far I love this truck, just wish the brakes were a bit better on these GMT 400's.

DirtFan21

Reaction score
Thanks bud, she is a five footer. I have minimal rust and just keep rattle canning it until I decide if I want to stop the cancer or just let it go. I still haven't settled on keeping this truck for the foreseeable future or just for the next year or so.

Clean trucks are a pain in the butt to find in Indiana, dang rust belt state...

DirtFan21

Reaction score
I replaced my oil cooler lines on my K2500 almost 3 years ago with new gm lines from a dealer. They weren't expensive and they do not leak. The orings are very important and be certain to lubricate them when installing.

I have a new pair for my 454SS to install but when I removed them 18+ years ago, I somehow lost the adapter that bolts to the block (Mark IV 454s have the lines going into an oil filter adapter, not directly to the block like Mark V 454s) . The gm dealer wants way more than I want to pay for the adapter. I'd love to reinstall the cooler on it sometime.

Both times mine were leaking at the crimps right were they take the turn to go under the motor. Where they connect to the radiator and back at the engine block they have been dry both times. So far so good on these new ones. The first time I did them they were original, the second time I changed them they were dorman and only about 5 months old. I think I may have just got a bad set of lines.