New guy here with heat question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Truck's running @ 160? Try replacing the thermostat. Cheap & easy.
I'd change the heater hoses, too.
Heater cores are a common prob. Again, easy. Except getting the two screws for the cover over the trans hump. PITA! I usually don't replace 'em. I can swap out a heater core in about 45 minutes, now! Lotsa practice! LOL!

JK360

Reaction score
Already changed the t-stat yesterday. Im 99% sure its the heater core. Im having my buddy who is a gm tech at my local dealership look the whole truck over and let me know what he thinks is gonna need to be done. I explained to him my problem and he said its most likely the core. Today after running it for a while the in hose was scorching and the return line was still cool. Instead of continuing trying to flush it ill just order a new one and swap it out.

I do however think that i am leaking some coolant from my intake manifold gasket. i do get a faint smell of burning antifreeze in the engine bay. Im going to eventually change that out with a new Felpro one and ill also do the valve cover gaskets at the same time. This is going to be a slow project over time. Im gonna slowly upgrade everything inside and out till the truck runs and looks brand new.

corkey723

Reaction score
Seems weird, if the water was running freely, then the core shouldn't be bad. Not sure if anything else can go wrong. Nothing is leaking into the cab?

corkey723

Reaction score
I flushed my system the other day. Pulled the lower rad hose, upper hose and heater hose on the rad. Just ran water through everything till it was clean. Should clean through thte block, the rad and heater hose.

JK360

Reaction score
I had my buddy who works at a local dealer look at it and my core is shot and my radiator is cracked. i ordered new ones last night and im gonna change them next week.