New guy here - ‘94 z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought this guy this week:

‘94 z71 5.7 Manual
New motor & trans, mechanically perfect. Interior is in great shape. Body needs a little help, I will be starting body work and paint next week.

This will be a project truck for me, something I can work on and keep for (hopefully) a long time and pass down to my kids.

Is there a thread here people use to post builds? I would like to keep track of everything and maybe help someone out in the process. Where would be the best place to post? TIA!

You must be registered for see images attach

capitlj

Reaction score
They really had no idea what they were doing with that white paint did they lol. Great looking truck otherwise. Always loved those Z71 wheels, they look super good in black.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They really had no idea what they were doing with that white paint did they lol. Great looking truck otherwise. Always loved those Z71 wheels, they look super good in black.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know right! It was a long lasting problem from early 90s till the end of this body style. HUGE primer/topcoat bonding issue!

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know right! It was a long lasting problem from early 90s till the end of this body style. HUGE primer/topcoat bonding issue!

I can not wait to get the body straight again and get a fresh coat of white on it!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You can start a build thread in ( street build threads) forum. Like you, I was going to paint mine my self, but my wife talked me into getting it done. I have a cheep paint job, but you would never know it by looking at the truck. I had mine done in 2013. It still looks as good today as it did the day I took it home. White is an easy color to repaint.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The place that did my truck said they used GM code 50 color. It is so close to OE that you can not tell when I open the doors, or look between the cab and bed, or under the hood that the paint is not OE. The guy that owns the body shop says that is what he uses on all the white GM trucks he paints. If you change color, it cost a lot more. The bed has to come off, the door jams have to be done, as does the under hood fenders and firewall. Its a lot more work.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You can start a build thread in ( street build threads) forum. Like you, I was going to paint mine my self, but my wife talked me into getting it done. I have a cheep paint job, but you would never know it by looking at the truck. I had mine done in 2013. It still looks as good today as it did the day I took it home. White is an easy color to repaint.

She looks good man! I can’t say I have a lot of experience painting WHOLE VEHICLES, but I’ve done several repairs. Fortunately it’s an extra vehicle for me so I can take my time and make sure I get it right. I think it will turn out well, there’s very minimal body work, although I may end up just replacing one fender that got dinged in the front, depending on how it looks when I get it apart. I will start a thread over there when I start the work.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The place that did my truck said they used GM code 50 color. It is so close to OE that you can not tell when I open the doors, or look between the cab and bed, or under the hood that the paint is not OE. The guy that owns the body shop says that is what he uses on all the white GM trucks he paints. If you change color, it cost a lot more. The bed has to come off, the door jams have to be done, as does the under hood fenders and firewall. Its a lot more work.

I am going with a “Pure White” urethane that is suppose to match VERY close. I’m not up for a color change, I really like the white anyways.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a lot of pics in my album. Just click my avatar, then albums page, then my 97 if you want a good look. And thanks for the comp.