New guy, 98 Suburban ABS issue after spindles...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo78

Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I just installed a set of DJM drop spindles on my 98 c1500 suburban. From my research, I wanted DJM so I could keep the track width the same. Threw on a set of 15x8 rally's, and trimmed the LCA up to fit.

Install went well overall. Had to bend the brake line out of the caliper slightly to clear the top ball joint on both sides. The drivers side ABS sensor/inner shield didn't fit too well. I had to use a file and open the bolt holes a bit, and slowly run the bolts in a little at a time. Passenger side fit perfect. Now the ABS is kicking on and off randomly, and jerking the wheel to the passenger side. It isn't just low speed, it's all over, but worse at low speed. Seems like the drivers side is the issue since it jerks right.

I took the drivers side back apart, and after looking at the stock spindle, found a small rubbery ring I apparently missed on the inside of the pin. Other side didn't have it though. I reinstalled it, cleaned the plate as best as I could, and put it all back together. Seems better, but I'm still getting the ABS kicking on sporadically. The dash light comes on and off also.

Thoughts? Thanks fellas

Gordo78

Reaction score
Just unplugged my ABS to get around this issue, but hoping to fix in the future. Any insight fellas?

Also, I dislike ABS overall, but hate having the harness unplugged. I saw something about clipping a purple wire on the harness to shut it off and retain the appearance, but I have 3 purple wires. ANy thoughts?

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Gotta make sure that sensor is seated all the way, and not crooked over the tone ring, or you will have this issue. Mock it up in your old spindle and get it as close as possible to that in your new one. It's an unfortunate reality of using aftermarket parts, sometimes you gotta do some tweaking.

Gordo78

Reaction score
Was afraid of that. I'm bummed the one side fit perfect, and the other was that far off. Guess I'll tear her back apart next weekend. Thanks man.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure the bearings are pressed on all the way and preloaded correctly? When the bearings get loose and the brake/tone ring wobble relative to the sensor, it will do exactly what you're describing.