New from Carolina

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Better listen to dirty about the SFA swap. This is one of those things years of research can only do so much. This all boils down to experience, and whatever you may budget a SAS out to be....Plan on doubling that budget AT LEAST. .

the doubling applies to almost every project when your vehicle gets past he 10 yr old mark lol, a 40$ set of brake pads turn into a $200 front brake overhaul, those kind of things lol.

x97chevrolet

Reaction score
There is no way you have 20k in this truck and what parts did they put on their front end that ended up costing 3k. Also putting a dana 44 is not going to increase the strength of your front end all that much so if your gonna do it and try to do it right put a 60 up front.

Yes there is a way. I have all the paperwork for it all. I will be swapping my IFS for a solid axle. It will be 3x easier to lift along with it being cheaper to lift. I've made up my mind and thats what I'm going to do. I have plenty of resources, I can weld brackets and anything else that needs to be welded myself. I know lots of people with lots of old trucks sitting in their backyard. It doesnt matter what kind of money its going to cost me. It will be worth it in the end. Then I can go up to other OBS owners and say "hey, nice truck! I have a solid front axle.. what you got?

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet most people on here have more then they think in their truck if they sit down and add it up. I know I'm around 10k if you count rebuilding transmissions and rear ends.

Last edited:

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Yes there is a way. I have all the paperwork for it all. I will be swapping my IFS for a solid axle. It will be 3x easier to lift along with it being cheaper to lift. I've made up my mind and thats what I'm going to do. I have plenty of resources, I can weld brackets and anything else that needs to be welded myself. I know lots of people with lots of old trucks sitting in their backyard. It doesnt matter what kind of money its going to cost me. It will be worth it in the end. Then I can go up to other OBS owners and say "hey, nice truck! I have a solid front axle.. what you got?

Alright since you seem to think I am trying to argue with you about this I will drop it after I say this. Maintenance items such as tires, oil changes, brakes, and what not do not count towards what you "have" in your vehicle and the way I see it you have maybe 1500 in exterior mods so unless your interior or motor is extremely badass there is no way you have 20k into it.

Also I am not saying do not put a solid axle under your truck I am just saying make sure you are prepared for the task of doing so. I hope it works out for you and you have no problems but if you have any questions about it you can pm me or just start a thread and I will more than likely find it.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright since you seem to think I am trying to argue with you about this I will drop it after I say this. Maintenance items such as tires, oil changes, brakes, and what not do not count towards what you "have" in your vehicle and the way I see it you have maybe 1500 in exterior mods so unless your interior or motor is extremely badass there is no way you have 20k into it.

Also I am not saying do not put a solid axle under your truck I am just saying make sure you are prepared for the task of doing so. I hope it works out for you and you have no problems but if you have any questions about it you can pm me or just start a thread and I will more than likely find it.

I think tires should count if you are putting larger then stock tires on there, especially for lifted trucks with like 38's because one of them almost cost as much as a stock set of generic tires. And brakes i can see counting too if you are paying extra for performance pads and drilled rotors or something. If you are just doing stock replacement then I agree with you.

x97chevrolet

Reaction score

I know you're not trying to argue Im just trying to let you know that it's going to happen. And like I said I have all the receipts and paperwork to prove it. I have spent roughly 18,500 on it. Do you not know how much a brand new crate motor is from gm? OR a rebuilt tranny with just about all new internals with a mild shift kit? Or when you break something in general? I've spent over 18k fixing, repairing, replacin stuff but some of that went to aftermarket mods yes but whether you like or not I've put that much money into that truck and I'm about to drop another 5 to 6 grand getting a solid axle.

But the only thing I really need help with is getting a list together of stuff I need for the SAS. I'm taking it to Down East Offroad in Wilson, NC to get it done... Me and my buddies were gonna do it but the space needed is already taken up by one of their projects (SAS 87' Yota on 44's), so I'm just going to go ahead and get it done fast and it will ensure that it's done right. If I bring them mostly all the parts then it will run me roughly 2g's plus parts of course. I just need to make sure I have everything I need first.

x97chevrolet

Reaction score
So pretty much scratch all those plans.. I was just accepted into the welding program at school and I've been on a waiting list for about 8 months now so I will be having to put the solid axle idea away for a while. This still leaves me with enough money to still lift my truck with an extreme suspensions 6.5 stage 2 unless I dont need a stage 2. I'm super pissed but at the same time if I go to school I can buy a duramaxx in a few years after I been workin. Now I feel like a dumbass for making it really clear before that I was going to get a SAS but **** happens.. especially to me.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SFA is cool and easy to lift but it's not necessarily greater than an IFS lifted truck. Not trying to give you a hard time but before you whip up to someone (skynyrd blaring) asking what they got just to show yours, know that it's not a status symbol. If we're counting what we literally have spent on our trucks here...I got somewhere around what a brand new duramax would cost in this 95. 3 engines and 2 trannys, and that's ab 1% of the bill.

x97chevrolet

Reaction score
I'm not the type of person to walk up to somebody else (skynard blaring) and show off what I got. I'm not cocky and I'm sorry if it sounded like that but like I said it was for durability and ease of lift. I was referring more towards another respectable OBS owner who asked me about my truck, Im not going to be the one to tell him... but now its not an option anymore because of my situation as of yesterday.