New from Carolina

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The odds of the deer hitting one of the 2 vertical bars and not destroying the rest of the truck are very slim.

true, but the odds of destroy a gmt400 hitting a deer is very slim too. I cracked my grill on the very corner on one, and the other one hit my push bar bent my front tag and then rolled under my truck where i ran it over with both passenger tires.

x97chevrolet

Reaction score
I've hit 2 deer, a few trashcans and a fencepost and not one of those things touched any part of my gmt400. It did however take some of the bedliner off of it,but all in all the thing is a beast. And of course I dont have to take it off to open my hood. Im not stupid enough to make it like that.

I also just found out some news today that hit me where it hurts. My idler arms are bent along with my tie rods. my ball joints are shot and every other joint in the front end. My cv axles need replacing. So I will be dropping some $$$$$$$$ so put a SAS on it. And hopefully in the next few weeks I will putting a 44 in the front along with a 14 bolt semi in the rear.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I hate to look at it this way but solid axling a truck is not easy to do and is very expensive when done properly. You could replace a lot of ifs components with moog parts that have lifetime warranties for the cost of the SAS. It may sound like I am trying to discourage you from doing this and I am not I am just suggesting that you really look at if the benefits outweigh the costs. I would hate for you to tear your front end out then not have the know how, time, money, or patience to put in the sfa and end up with a big paperweight in your driveway.

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
Replace all your front end parts then put on a cepek lift :D welcome to the site

x97chevrolet

Reaction score
I'm very aware of how much time, effort, and money I will be spending. Ive dont mad research and have a couple buddies that payed 3000 dollars for damage similiar to mine on the front end. I plan on driving this truck for the rest of my life considering the fact that I just put a brand new crate motor in it and a built transmission with a shift kit. I want a solid truck and it will last twice as long with a 60 or even a 44. Im doing this for durability. I cant afford to sell that truck anymore because I will not get nearly what i need for it. Theres atleast $20,000 in that truck. I couldve had a damn 2500 duramaxx by now. So I said to myself if I'm going to keep it then I need to go ahead and do it right so it will be there for me and hopefully never break down again:)

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Theres atleast $20,000 in that truck.
$20k?!?! Why the heck would you dump that kind of cash into an old truck?!?! I mean, come on. On mine, I've only spent, let's see......................um.............................awwww crap. :Big Laugh:

Truck looks great man. Sounds like you have the same attitude I do. I would never get the amount I want for it, so I might as well spend what I need to in order to make it last and look good. Welcome to the site. If you need info. on a sas for these trucks, this is definitely the place to be.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
There is no way you have 20k in this truck and what parts did they put on their front end that ended up costing 3k. Also putting a dana 44 is not going to increase the strength of your front end all that much so if your gonna do it and try to do it right put a 60 up front.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Better listen to dirty about the SFA swap. This is one of those things years of research can only do so much. This all boils down to experience, and whatever you may budget a SAS out to be....Plan on doubling that budget AT LEAST. It's one of those things everyone TALKS about and loves, but when it comes down to the down and dirty...It becomes a whole different animal. I also wouldn't do it for the reasons you're talking about. IFS is no less "durable" really it's just keeping your eye on things and fixing them BEFORE they become a problem. It should never take close to near 3k to rebuild a front end either. I recently did everything except tie rods on mine for about $5-6 hundo. A SAS would be sooo flippin cool on mine but I know better than to go barking up that tree, plus it would be a waste on mine that's a pavement pounding work truck.