New exhaust idea, this might be the one!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Hello again, guys. This is like my third exhaust thread, but im only making a new one because i think i have come to my final plan for my new exhaust. Check it, im thinking of cutting my stock cat off, selling it, and using the money to get two hi-flo replacements, and get basically dual glasspacks. The way my exhaust is set up now, it goes from the headers, merges, (called a y-pipe, i think?) then to the huge stock restrictive cat, then stock muffler, then out behind the passenger-rear tire. I want each header to have its own pipe, cat, and glasspack. How, if at all, would this affect my trucks power and mileage? Even if miniscule, i want to know. I dont need an increase in power, but loss in mileage would be a bit inconvinient. My mom had true duals with glasspacks installed on our old 80's C/K, and it sounded like a truck should sound!

Any opinions, even if negative, are very welcome. Suggestions too. Thanks guys, and sorry for spamming :D

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Not going to gain anything at all. You'll lose a little power and economy. You would be better off running a 1 in 2 out muffler and keeping the Y pipe.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
do you have lt's or shorties? stock y-pipe?

It may be cheaper to run a y-pipe, single high flow cat, and a single in/dual out muffler i'd reccomend magnaflow
I wouldnt reccomend the 40's.. on anything other than a stock exhaust they drone. plus they suck for flow.

If your running dual pipes make sure there is an x-pipe in there, or at least A muffler with a crossover in it (thats what i'm running)
how are you planning on exiting the muffler?

Since your not really looking for more power and dont want to lose mileage (mileage = $$) your really looking for better sound, and a little more flow. i'd reccomend keeping your y-pipe and upgrade to a higher flowing cat. keep your single pipe running back and run it into a si/do muffler, and exit out the back or on 45's out the back if you pull a trailer or anything.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Not going to gain anything at all. You'll lose a little power and economy. You would be better off running a 1 in 2 out muffler and keeping the Y pipe.
That makes sense.

do you have lt's or shorties? stock y-pipe?

It may be cheaper to run a y-pipe, single high flow cat, and a single in/dual out muffler i'd reccomend magnaflow
I wouldnt reccomend the 40's.. on anything other than a stock exhaust they drone. plus they suck for flow.

If your running dual pipes make sure there is an x-pipe in there, or at least A muffler with a crossover in it (thats what i'm running)
how are you planning on exiting the muffler?

Since your not really looking for more power and dont want to lose mileage (mileage = $$) your really looking for better sound, and a little more flow. i'd reccomend keeping your y-pipe and upgrade to a higher flowing cat. keep your single pipe running back and run it into a si/do muffler, and exit out the back or on 45's out the back if you pull a trailer or anything.

Ahh so the duals with glasspacks would hurt the economy? Damn. That makes it suck. Right now i have the stock y pipe from the headers to the cat. Ill take a pic in a bit when this class ends. So a better idea would be stock y-pip to hi flo cat, to magnaflow, then dual out? Oh and whats an x-pipe? Oh and i rarely pull trailers, but why would having them point straight out be bad?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Straight out the back can cook your trailer and whatever your carrying....another idea would be a single-in/dual-out muffler and both pipes running side-by-side up and over axle and out the stock location....you've prolly seen some 3/4 or 1ton vans with dual pipes coming out where normally there's only 1 exiting stock location. If you run SI/DO muffler, get one with the inlet being in the center, outlets being on each end....this will balance the flow out each tip.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
an x-pipe basically merges the 2 seperate pipes together and back out, this helps even out exhaust pulses and can enchance scavenging.

Straight out the back also is rather loud, the sound bounces off the trailer and back to the truck, sounds like bad drone.

and what Mobs said about the inlets/outlets on the muffler. Magnaflow mufflers are similar to glasspacks as there are no chambers to cancel sound waves like a traditional muffler. the magnaflows and glasspacks use 'padding' to absorb sound waves.

I think you'd really like the magnaflow. Also if i were you i'd just do the muffler and pipes first, then if you want you can put in a higher flowing cat, the diference between the factory and a higher flowing one is pretty minimal.. unless your factory one is pooched.

blue_92_sierra

Aftermath
Reaction score
I used to have a si/do muffler on my truck and when i switched to true duals and ran 2 magnaflow mufflers i seemed to gain a lil more power and acceleration. My old system didnt flow as good as my magnaflows do and i think thats why i noticed a difference in power is because better flow creates more power

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I used to have a si/do muffler on my truck and when i switched to true duals and ran 2 magnaflow mufflers i seemed to gain a lil more power and acceleration. My old system didnt flow as good as my magnaflows do and i think thats why i noticed a difference in power is because better flow creates more power

Did you notice any diference in mileage? alot of the time with better flow (usually headers) the power band moves the torque band up slightly. depending on your setup it can be a good or a bad thing.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I had straights out the back....boy i feel for anyone behind me, especially taking off from redlights. :p

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I had straights out the back....boy i feel for anyone behind me, especially taking off from redlights. :p

x2.. now I have em dumped

Feel just as bad though, all the fumes (alot of them) build up under my bed and when I take off the person behind me gets a good whiff