New Cam bearings-New Cam Clearance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dom2door

Reaction score
I am trying to, rebuild a 2005 5.3 for my is swap. I bought a cam and bearings and when i measure bearing clearance i get +0.008. Every thing i read i need +0.002. The over size bearings measure -0.004
How does one fix this?

So when buying engine parts They need to be machined, that's not right More $$$.

Bought another set of cam bearings that idid not install yet but measured them anyways, measured +0.008, do I just hope installing them would compress them 0.006, did not measure the first set before in stalling, the end measurement +0.008.
THANK you all

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Guess: The problem is in the measurement technique/measurement tools, not the actual parts.

Are the LS motors known for oversize bearings/oversize machining of the cam bores? Are the cam journals under spec size?

Haul the block to a machine shop, have a professional measure it.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it spin a cam bearing or something? I've been blissfully happy just swapping in standard cam bearings and not worrying too much.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First Guess: The problem is in the measurement technique/measurement tools, not the actual parts.

Are the LS motors known for oversize bearings/oversize machining of the cam bores? Are the cam journals under spec size?

Haul the block to a machine shop, have a professional measure it.
Seen alot of LS engine cam bearings fall out.

Dom2door

Reaction score
The cam tool I was using ( POS expandable type) mest up the bearing. Bought a LS specific camshaft bearing tool and bearings went in good, measure 0.003 clearance, a lot better than 0.008.
I will install the rest tommoro.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need a dial bore guage and a micrometer to measure the cam bearing clearance. Set the "mic" to the cam journal and lock it in, then use the dial bore guage to "zero" it between the mic anvils. Now, insert the dial bore guage into the cam bearings to read clearance directly.

Are you using the telescoping bore guage, such as the Harbor freight ones? I bought that set, but every engine builder magazines said they aren't accurate, so I got a bore guage and a set of "mics." I never even used that HF telescopic set.

Need more background: What did the original cam/bearings look like? Did you remove it? Who installed the cam bearings? Did you check for clearances on the original cam? What did use to install the bearings?

I would say if the original bearings didn't spin, it's a measurement issue. Follow @Schurkey advice and have a machine shop check, and if necessary, reinstall the bearings. Those clearances are important.

Edit: looks like like you figured it per your last post.

Last edited: