New battery starter still cranks slow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF the alternator can supply all the needs of the vehicle, AND maintain enough voltage LONG ENOUGH to keep the battery fully-charged--sure, the alternator will keep the battery charged.

Problem is that the vehicle probably doesn't run long enough to fully-recharge the battery after the enormous drain of the starter motor.

So it depends on how the vehicle is used. And this also explains why every advancement in vehicle charging systems tends to be to improve low-rpm output.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you throw a trickle charge overnight into it 1st?
My truck won’t start because it drains the battery. Lights come on and cranks but battery is low. It stopped running while I was driving home on Friday and had it towed

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck won’t start because it drains the battery. Lights come on and cranks but battery is low. It stopped running while I was driving home on Friday and had it towed
1. Parasitic drain on the battery. Something isn't turning off when it should. This can include "conductive slime" on the battery case, where current drains across the case from post-to-post.

2. Failed battery-won't hold a charge.

The symptoms are similar to a starting/charging power team that can't recover the battery in the amount of time spent driving. High starter current draw makes this worse, as does low alternator output.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IF the alternator can supply all the needs of the vehicle, AND maintain enough voltage LONG ENOUGH to keep the battery fully-charged--sure, the alternator will keep the battery charged.

Problem is that the vehicle probably doesn't run long enough to fully-recharge the battery after the enormous drain of the starter motor.

So it depends on how the vehicle is used. And this also explains why every advancement in vehicle charging systems tends to be to improve low-rpm output.

How long on average would it need to run to charge the battery back up?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May have found the problem no spark going to replace coil and hopefully it isn’t the distributor
Why not TEST the coil, instead of replacing it?

How long on average would it need to run to charge the battery back up?
Depends on alternator output, battery condition, temperature, starter draw, and whether you've got the headlights, wipers, rear defroster, and stereo running.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no spark at all and we tried to jump start it but still would not start at all but would crank

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throttle body spacer came with it when I bought it. Replaced spark plug wires and am going to replace this

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach