New Automatic Transmission Assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi

I spent hours reading this amazing forum where thousand of tips and tricks are sharing. Congratulations to all !

I live in France and own a '97 Suburban with 120kmiles on odo. This is the 4th one after a '93 '95 '04 but I prefer by far the '96 - '99 GMT400 séries .

You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway here is the main modifications done to this Burb this 3 last month :
- swap 16 inches OE wheel to 18 inches '06 series
- GMC grille
- but Chevy logo ...
- xenons headlights
- high beam headlight relay kit (too keep both high and low beam on)
- front LED turn lights
- rear LED turn lights
- deleted aluminium arch moldings
- deleted body Side Molding
- '08 Chevrolet emblems
- news tires 245/75x16 to 265/60x18
- deleted running board
- etc etc ...

The tranny is going bad :( and I wonder if this rockauto Automatic Transmission Assembly (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1303063,parttype,8556
and http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4762713&cc=1303063) is reliable and worth it for the price ?

Any advices welcome.

Thank you.

Chris.

I have A LOT others question about lowering, electronics etc ... ;-)

Last edited:

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I like that bowtie mod(sacrilege!). Haha.

I'm no help on your question though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd just have yours rebuilt by a local trustworthy shop

Sent from my 3/4 ton iPhone

I'm no expert but I'm willing to bet that 4L60Es aren't nearly as common in France as they are in North America.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure but they end up all over the place. I've seen several people from different parts of the world post here. I know Holden made them for GM in Mexico and sold them there and in Australia, not sure about GM's European operations though.

EDIT - Christophe, care to tell us how you came to own the truck? Were they sold new in your region?

DOUBLE EDIT - As I said I'm no transmission expert but I believe both of those options you linked from RockAuto should work. No idea what the quality of the items would be as I've never heard of either brand, though. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction for a quality rebuilt unit, but I'm also sure the main issue is going to be finding a company who will ship it to you.

Last edited:

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the French were driving those little roundabout cars.

Last edited:

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome!

Would love to hear how you acquired the truck

x2. I like those tailights too. Any chance they are easy to find over there?

I work for a French company. I would not buy a transmission from rock auto. I would suggest Summit Racing or Jegs, who sell TCI/Bowler or other trans supplier products. I would probably go to the company directly, but they may not ship over the pond. Gearstar is another one I have heard things about (good/bad/indifferent). My K2500 has a reman MrGoodwrench 4L80e and it shifts funny sometimes. No clue when it was installed though as it was in there when I got the truck.