New 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the time has come to do some major work on my truck. It's got sentimental value so ill never sell it, but I'm moving out west in a month and it needs some work. I need it to be dead nuts reliable, and be able to pull a uhaul from Georgia to Colorado. I'd rather spend $4-5000 on this truck and have it last me another 100k than have payments on a new truck. Its an 89 K1500. regular cab long bed. 700r4 and 350. Its around 117K miles, but was only used on the farm since 1998 till i got it last fall. So it's good loads of carbon buildup from not getting up to temp or moving very fast.

Anyways, The tranny isn't in great shape. It shifts, sometimes has a bit of kick to it, but all the gears work. It has a low howl to it in first and second gear, and rattles really loud in overdrive if under any kind of load. Since a rebuild looks to cost about the same as a new one, I'm not really interested in having my mechanic tear it apart and rebuild it, cause I need it back on the road soon. So- looking at just replacing it. Summit racing is really close to me so I'm looking a Hughes performance or TCI maximizer package. Anyone with opinions on these? Anyone with a good suggestion in northeast Georgia? Thanks.

Can you still get them from GM?

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd go with a rebuild. Any reputable shop should be able to get you back on the road in 2-3 business days max, and build you whatever you want in the process. I'm sure it'll be cheaper in the long run, as well. Find a local builder who knows what they're doing, don't let a chain shop do it.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd go with a rebuild. Any reputable shop should be able to get you back on the road in 2-3 business days max, and build you whatever you want in the process. I'm sure it'll be cheaper in the long run, as well. Find a local builder who knows what they're doing, don't let a chain shop do it.

I totally agree. I can't tell you how many times someone as brought a 700R4 in with a stuck throttle valve that they have purchased online. It's a pain dealing with someone 100 miles away so they usually just out of pocket pay us to fix it.
Find a good local shop that can install it, set the cable, flush the cooler, and stamp a warranty on it.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah that makes a lot of sense. Guy here locally that was recommended by several mechanics i talked to, all he does is transmissions, quoted me $1500-1700 depending on what upgrades I wanted and can get it back to me Friday. Said a couple of things like an upgraded 3-4 clutch pack, servo and couple of other things he does standard. I don't need anything crazy, I may some day potentially if i get around to it thinks bout possibly swapping cams and maybe upgraded the exhaust, but I just need it to tow and last in the rockies. I'm going to have him install a cooler cause my truck doesn't have one, other than that should I request anything else?

And now the question is going to be whether I just bite the bullet and throw a new long block in it....sure would be a nice piece of mind for my upcoming move and not leaving me stranded way the hell out in the middle of nowhere Colorado....$1700 for a warrantied GM brand new block is just a hell of a deal. Figure $1000-1500 labor installing it and I've got a new truck basically!

mistaake

Reaction score
yeah that makes a lot of sense. Guy here locally that was recommended by several mechanics i talked to, all he does is transmissions, quoted me $1500-1700 depending on what upgrades I wanted and can get it back to me Friday. Said a couple of things like an upgraded 3-4 clutch pack, servo and couple of other things he does standard. I don't need anything crazy, I may some day potentially if i get around to it thinks bout possibly swapping cams and maybe upgraded the exhaust, but I just need it to tow and last in the rockies. I'm going to have him install a cooler cause my truck doesn't have one, other than that should I request anything else?

And now the question is going to be whether I just bite the bullet and throw a new long block in it....sure would be a nice piece of mind for my upcoming move and not leaving me stranded way the hell out in the middle of nowhere Colorado....$1700 for a warrantied GM brand new block is just a hell of a deal. Figure $1000-1500 labor installing it and I've got a new truck basically!

Please do a differential service at that time too. It would suck to replace the trans just to have the rear end go bang suddenly and take the new trans with it.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I feel a little dumb, showing my total ignorance of automatic transmissions, but my transmission guy said it was in good shape, all of the problems I was experiencing were engine related! Kind of a relief to save $1600 on the rebuild, but is making me think the motor is not in great shape. My biggest transmission issue was a real bad rattle in overdrive that turns out is some real bad spark knock....going to the engine guy in the morning to see what he says about the motor.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Well I feel a little dumb, showing my total ignorance of automatic transmissions, but my transmission guy said it was in good shape, all of the problems I was experiencing were engine related! Kind of a relief to save $1600 on the rebuild, but is making me think the motor is not in great shape. My biggest transmission issue was a real bad rattle in overdrive that turns out is some real bad spark knock....going to the engine guy in the morning to see what he says about the motor.

Don't feel terrible, I had the front pump going out in the 4L60E in my Suburban, and I could've sworn it was a lower end knock or really bad lifter tick or something. Then a few days later KABOOM!! No more trans.....