700R4 took a dump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Where is the best place to get a rebuilt trans for my '89 K1500 4x4. Coming home from town slowed down for traffic and then stepped on the go pedal and the t-case shifter was rattling and making a terrible noise. came to a stop and went to take off and the trans was slipping, by the time I milked it home wouldn't shift out of low gear and trans was making a screeching, grinding noise. The trans has probably 150K miles since last rebuild, so it's due:(. I'm on the west coast and don't want to get one from back east.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to get a rebuilt trans for my '89 K1500 4x4. Coming home from town slowed down for traffic and then stepped on the go pedal and the t-case shifter was rattling and making a terrible noise. came to a stop and went to take off and the trans was slipping, by the time I milked it home wouldn't shift out of low gear and trans was making a screeching, grinding noise. The trans has probably 150K miles since last rebuild, so it's due:(. I'm on the west coast and don't want to get one from back east.
Where on the West coast are you (closest major city)?

Edit - never mind, saw you're north east of Sacramento per your profile. Don't know of anyone in either Sac or Reno for transmission rebuilding.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Anybody hear of, or use Atransmission for a rebuilt trans? At $999 seems like a real bargain. That's the best price I have found, everybody else seems to be about double that price. All their reviews are 5 star, seems a little odd.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody hear of, or use Atransmission for a rebuilt trans? At $999 seems like a real bargain. That's the best price I have found, everybody else seems to be about double that price. All their reviews are 5 star, seems a little odd.
Call them and ask them exactly what goes into their rebuilds, what parts get replaced etc. Id be surprised if they tell you.

That price seems like what you'd get for flat rate type work to me. "Flat Rate" is an industry term used to describe shops that only replace the specific parts that failed while reusing everything else that would otherwise be replaced in a proper overhaul. Ive rebuilt plenty of such flat rate jobs over the years, they typically last 6 months or so. Their warranty period is usually 30-90 days.

Reaction score
They say they replace what's needed and reuse what still is in spec. 1k seems under priced as most everyone else is almost twice that much $$$. I haven't checked the local rebuilder yet, but they won't do a bench rebuild, they want to r&r it themself. I'm a retired mechanic but have never rebuild a 700R4. Have done a few powerglides when I was drag racing a '55 shoebox. I have a lift in the shop , but just not the workbench space to rip one apart and probably none of the special tool's required to do the job correctly. So was looking for a good rebuilt trans.