Need to drop the rear 2-3 inches. 1995 . Shackles or hangars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I have nbeen building trucks for a long time, But never lowered one. Always had 4x4 adn always went up. Anyhow I need to drop the rear on my 95 2-3 inches.

I see 2 inch drop shackles, and hanger relocators. Whats your recommendation? I think 2 will be fine, but 3 would be acceptable as well. I still use this truck to pull traielrs very now and then so I need my suspension to handle tha load ( i can add helpers springs for towing)

What I am trying to avoind is having the rear axle too close to the frame to alolow room for axle travel. i will not notch the frame as I use this for towning and have see some c notch truck break in half with a trailer out behind it.

Anyhow, recommendations?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you don't want to notch your frame, 2" is about as low as you can go. Use the shackles. Simple to do. Did mine in less than an hour.
The hangers are a different story. The driver's side, next to the gas tank, is a major PITA!!! Did that once. Never again!
Make sure to check your pinion angle afterwards.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Hangers only do 2" and are PITA to put on. If all you want is 2", go with the shackles. I have gone 4" with hangers and shackles and did not need to notch the frame. Any lower than 4 and you will have to notch but since you still want to tow without cutting then stay with a 2" drop in the rear to level the truck out.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hangers only do 2" and are PITA to put on. If all you want is 2", go with the shackles. I have gone 4" with hangers and shackles and did not need to notch the frame. Any lower than 4 and you will have to notch but since you still want to tow without cutting then stay with a 2" drop in the rear to level the truck out.

Doh! You're right. My '97 has a 4" drop & NO notch! Dunno what I was thinking. ....................................(brain fart!)

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hangers it is. Ive done em on 4x4s, its only 2 bolts. I was just making sure there were no clearance issues using them.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Hangers it is. Ive done em on 4x4s, its only 2 bolts. I was just making sure there were no clearance issues using them.

Do you mean shackles? The hangers are on the front of the leaf springs and are held on by 4 rivets.

gunz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, Shackles. Sorry. I know the difference, just typed in the wrong thing.