Need more get up and go!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckracer

Reaction score
He's going to have to get a tune after the regear anyway, he's got a Vortec truck so no DRAC adjustments. A tune will be necessary to correct the speedometer.

Well, no. See my other thread.

I did mine for under $75.00.
You can adjust on the fly while driving if need be, Change tire sizes? reset in under 5 minutes. Change gears, again, 5 minutes.. Easier than a drac truck, no need to cont a tuner to have it reset.
Even if I had a tune I would use the dakota digital box..

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, no. See my other thread.

I did mine for under $75.00.
You can adjust on the fly while driving if need be, Change tire sizes? reset in under 5 minutes. Change gears, again, 5 minutes.. Easier than a drac truck, no need to cont a tuner to have it reset.
Even if I had a tune I would use the dakota digital box..

I saw your other thread.

Aren't you essentially just fooling the gauge to read correctly? This is probably fine for a 5-6mph discrepancy like what you described in your other thread, but a re-gear and drastic tire size change are another matter. Shift points are going to be affected.

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I saw your other thread.

Aren't you essentially just fooling the gauge to read correctly? This is probably fine for a 5-6mph discrepancy like what you described in your other thread, but a re-gear and drastic tire size change are another matter. Shift points are going to be affected.

The speedo calibrators, like Superlift and whatnot, take in one count signal, and spit out another. So they are able to adjust a percentage, like 3% or whatever, a crossed the board. I've only used one once, on my TJ, that I just sold, but it worked quite well to get me back on track with my 4.88's and 33's.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the basic principles, but the way truckracer described his setup all the adjustments were happening after the PCM. Specifically between the PCM and the gauges. Correct me if I'm wrong but if it won't work the other way then it seems like all you're doing is altering the gauge reading. From what he said you can hook it up to the sensor wire like you're supposed to, but the PCM doesn't like it and throws a check engine light. Seems like it's just easier (and a better thing to do for the vehicle) to just get a tune either way. It's really not that much more expensive for SO much more gain.

Just my take on it.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Oh, I see what you mean, yes that is my experience with it. On my TJ, that is exactly what happened, however the PCM didn't care, so no check engine light.

I would agree that a tune is a worthwhile thing to do to pretty much everything on the road. I haven't owned anything that didn't respond decently to a tune. But I am thinking of my 400 here, with the speedo off and it's dead stock as far as gearing and tire size, so if the stock parameters aren't quite right, if speedo's are just off by a tiny bit (mine may be off by 2%, but it is off nonetheless), then a tune will get you back close, but not exact.

I know that I, for one can live with the thing being off the tiny amount mine is, so I would probably do a tune myself before I hijacked the VSS.