Need help identifying noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronchiggy

Reaction score
Noise in question I have this 1998 Chevy C1500 with a 5.7 350. Not very experienced with trucks or cars, and would like some help finding out what is causing this noise.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

heskahoka

Reaction score
First things I think of are:
-Bad pulley on one of the accessories
-Bad belt tensioner
-Loose, stretched or oversize belt.

If this were mine, I would remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise is still there. Pretty easy to do. Video on how to:

If the noise goes away, you have to check the pulleys for the 'chirping'. Cool video on how to do this:

Take it from there.

Ronchiggy

Reaction score
I took off the belt and it’s still making the same noise, any idea what else it could be? Thanks a lot for your help

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a stethoscope and see if you can localize it, check top, bottom, side to side. From your video, it almost sounds like rod or main bearing knock. Usually rod knock is while under acceleration while main is constant. It could be piston slap or even your torque converter. That's why you want to try and localize it 1st.

Ronchiggy

Reaction score
Ok thanks a lot for the tips. I don’t have a stethoscope but will get one as soon as possible. I was researching to find similar noises and saw one that was making a similar noise and they said it was the lifters, could that also be a possibility?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was researching to find similar noises and saw one that was making a similar noise and they said it was the lifters, could that also be a possibility?
It could be but, lifters sound more "tinny" than a hard metal knock. It's hard to hear much difference on a recording as opposed to "live". It's not Memorex, ha ha. Sorry for the old timer's joke.

Ronchiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, I was more referring to the chirping/ squeaking noise. Had someone tell me a distributor bearing could be the issue, I’m not even sure what that is lol.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now you need to move under and over the engine to see if you can narrow down the location of the noise, front of motor (maybe timing chain?) back of motor... it sounds more like a rubbing/scraping noise than the sharp sound of a rod or lifter. sparkplugs all tight?

so hard to ID noises from a video

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are a candidate for a shop to diagnose this. Locating a mystery, unfamiliar noise can be a challenge. The difference between a grinding growling idler pulley bearing to a loose exhaust bolt, to bearing knock. While searching on a running engine has a high risk potential.
Be careful. Moving parts, rotating belt pulley's, high heat ( 2nd degree burns or greater), electric discharge through ignition system.