need help engine id

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
All I can see is the number on rear drivers side flange, and I'm confused.

I see where it's stamped GM 57, then under that it looks like SGT or SGI , the weird thing is that the suspected S is actually an upside down 5.

Any ideas?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sgi and sgt refer to the types of metal used when they cast the block.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Hmmm, guess I looked in the wrong spot. Will get out the stick cam again and try tomorrow.

Thx

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
From that stamp would the number I need be towards the center or outside of the block?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you trying to determine exactly?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gm stopped using those numbers in the 80's I believe. Many many different numbers were used in 350's over the years, the 010 was the preferred 4 bolt truck block back in the day. Newer blocks use the displacement (5.0, 5.7).

39700010 was also used on the 327.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Well, it's like this....

I bought The Burb in January. It was running like crap. The antifreeze was brown and muddy, the oil was sludge, the alternator struggled with just the headlights. I tuned it up, flushed all fluids, cleaned it up, and now it runs like new... A little to good. I'm trying to see if the engine has ever been replaced or rebuilt. I did notice that the intake has an excessive amount of rtv squeezed out the front of it, so that's been off at some point.

So I'm looking for as many numbers on it as possible to see if the engine has been refreshed at some point, or if I happen to have a 209,000 mile 350 that was horribly abused, but still runs like a top.

I realize the best numbers to find would be on the front passenger side, if they haven't been decked off, but I can't see anything under there, either witha flashlight or video stick camera. I figure if I can find the block number I may be able to at least get a range of block used.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could put a boroscope down the cylinders and see what pistons look like. Lots of rebuilder pistons have the overbore stamped into the top of them. Short of tearing it apart, there isn't much you can do to figure out what it is or what is in it.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk