Need driveshaft parts numbers or where to look please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtball

Reaction score
The rear driveshaft in my 88 C3500 is slightly bent and vibrating. Not too bad, but bad enough that I want to replace it. Can I just replace the rear of the two piece shaft? Does it just slide off the spline coming out of the carrier? If I can just replace that one shaft, can someone please point me to a part number or place that has that. My searches on the internet are kind of confusing. I CAN buy the whole assembly, but I'd rather just buy the one shaft. A part number would be most helpful...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why not take it out, and to a driveshaft shop to be balanced? Almost always cheaper than a brand new driveshaft. Take them the whole assembly.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you just replace the rear half, it should get rebalance as an assembly in my opinion. They're balanced together when built.

I would either find an oem used shaft understanding it might need work, or take your original to a driveshaft shop as Richard suggested.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's bent... not sure it can be balanced...
That same driveshaft shop can repair it. If it's a lost cause they'll have options.

I was in a 2009 3500HD that got totalled in a crash that tore the axle loose from the springs (broke the u-bolts) and snatched the driveshafts apart at the carrier bearing, leaving the rear portion to flop around on the differential, bending the yoke around the u-joint caps.

The people I worked for owned a body shop and repaired the truck, but failed to address the driveshaft correctly. So I did some looking around - a used driveshaft for that truck was almost $1K before shipping. I took it to the local driveshaft shop and they cut the yoke off, welded a new one on, installed 3 new u-joints and carrier bearing, and balanced the whole thing - for less than half what a used assembly cost.

Hey; it's worth asking 'em. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A driveshaft shop can replace the bent driveshaft tube. I took a junkyard truck driveshaft, my Jaguar's driveshaft, and a measurement and asked for a driveshaft that would drop a TH400 into my XJ6. If I remember right it cost me about $150 out the door and it's good up to 600 hp.

Dirtball

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies... we have a fabulous shop here in the Birmingham, AL area. I will pull it and take it there. You are a wealth of info. I've never had to deal with driveshaft issues before.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies... we have a fabulous shop here in the Birmingham, AL area. I will pull it and take it there. You are a wealth of info. I've never had to deal with driveshaft issues before.
Don't trust your parking brake; chock those wheels. :) And it helps if you can support the rear of the truck on jack stands, but still go ahead and put a drain pan under the transmission tailshaft housing. Some fluid can leak out when you remove the driveshaft.

Richard