Need a little help with plug wires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely a stupid question but I am stumped.
I am changing cap, rotor, plugs and wires. The wire set I got is ACDelco 718Q. Should be direct OEM replacement. Wires have straight boots on one end, 90* boots on the other. Which end is the plug, which end is the cap? 90* on the cap would make sense on the round caps, not so much on the crab style. Old wires were straight on both ends. New wires seem too shallow at plug end. Also, anyone actually know which wire goes where in terms of longest to shortest? I have the firing order diagram and I copied the old setup but it just looks... wrong. Old wires were aftermarket and they really don't match the new ones at all.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you! Here goes...

edit:
You were right aaronb. Took another look at the terminals and now I see they are different sizes. They will only work one way.
On a side note, why the hell did GM make the distributor housing out of plastic? One of the damn ears busted off and now I gotta send the wife across town to buy a repair kit. This should have been a 30 minute job.

Last edited:

TigerEyz3

Reaction score
As with most everything else, lots of decisions boil down to "what makes the most profit?" - ergo "plastic" materials. Most of the factory distributor is made of plastic - decreases weight, but longevity is severely compromised compared to billet.

As far as the wire lengths... not trying to be a smarty or anything, but the longest ones go to the front of the motor, shortest ones to the back. Glad you were able to workout the "ends" part of the equation

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, sure I realize it was a stupid question but sometimes you sit there looking at something thinking... Wtf? Luckily we have the internet so that we can amuse other folks with our intellectual shortcomings. Now in my defense, the rubber boot thing is only a mostly stupid question. All the pictures show these brown 90* boots on the cap and the straight ends on the plugs, which is impossible.
Now for my contribution to posterity, the repair kit is Dorman 90449. It's a special order at most parts houses so you might considered buying one for the day you will need it. Runs about $28.

TigerEyz3

Reaction score
I wasn't calling you or your question stupid by any means... we all learn what we don't know. Asking questions and observing the responses to them has always been a GREAT method of learning. I'm not an expert by any means, but have learned a lot over the years...simply by asking, listening, observing, reading, and watching. Keep up the good work!