NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I have purchased a couple of the 2218RL tie rods. They are quite a bit larger than the hole on the GMT800 knuckle but I should be able to use a 1 1/2"/ft reamer to make them fit. Larger is usually better for durability on ball joints, and there is a ton of meat on the knuckle to do so.

Ricky8680

Reaction score
This was basically done in the dodge ram caliper swap thread. I'll post my finished adapters and where they end up on my knuckles once I finish them. Basically just a billet of steel with the holes to mount the caliper bracket & caliper,and two 1/2" holes for grade 8 hardware,you need the rotor your gonna run mounted on your hub so you can determine the spacing depth for your calipers,which also determines where you need to put bolt holes in your knuckle. Oh also,said billet of steel needs to have cleared cut into it for the back of the caliper,or else you probably won't get it spaces right in relation to the rotor fitting inside

Last edited:

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I have reamed my knuckles for the van tie rods. In the process I was looking at my set of K2XX knuckles in the garage and I don't see enough difference in them that they couldn't work for this swap as well. Maybe the steering stop design would allow a little more travel?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You definitely need to pioneer the K2XX knuckle swap. What kinds of brakes did they have? Any idea of hub compatibility?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
AFAIK the K2XX brakes swap onto the GMT800 knuckle. So as long as you use the 99-03 hub, you can put 99-05, 06-09, 10-13 and 14-18 brakes as long as your wheels clear. I may be off on the years a little. There isn't much difference in the basic design after 99. When I worked at GMC I looked brand new axles for every generation side by side and there isn't much difference. Same with hubs, but the ABS sensors don't work with the GMT400. The one thing I did notice is that they got cheaper and cheaper made with each generation!

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
So the 2218RL outer tie rods work with the knuckles reamed. Downside is the cost of the reamer, and the fact that you need to ream each knuckle 3 times. Go slow, don't go too far! They are also slightly longer so make sure whatever adjusters you use can accommodate the extra thread.