NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score

Crytone

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask if it's confirmed the balljoints are 10 degrees and not 7 degrees?

There are other manufacturers of reamers is why I ask. They are usually listed by inches/ft (as Speedway has in their description, this is a 2"/ft reamer which is actually ~9.5 degrees).

waddlin

Reaction score
I know this a older post but I was wondering if say a NBS 99-06 drop spindle would work with the swap? Mine is a 4x4 obs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know this a older post but I was wondering if say a NBS 99-06 drop spindle would work with the swap? Mine is a 4x4 obs.

On that note, one could likely also do a lift spindle as part of the brake upgrade.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Has anyone ever confirmed the outer tie rod needed for this swap? They are definitely not the same taper as GMT400.

DJackson1357

Reaction score
Has anyone ever confirmed the outer tie rod needed for this swap? They are definitely not the same taper as GMT400.

Found this thread a while back when I was researching this swap. https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/t...00-brake-conversion-tie-rod-discussion.45012/

I used the stock GMT400 tie rods, but did seem to bottom out differently. No issues so far, but not a lot of miles on the swap.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have done the swap. I already had the GMT800 knuckles with GMT900 calipers / rotors from my old truck I was parting out. The stopping power is good on my K1500, but my C1500 Suburban with hydroboost has better pedal feel and stops just as well. The thing that bothers me is the turning radius as someone else mentioned a page or so back. I'm pretty sure the distance to the tie rod pick up point is farther out so it slows steering overall and you lose angle. Parking lots suck.

I know most people like this setup, just figure I'd add my $.02.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So....Im wondering if we can bypass all the fitment issues by using an adapter to bolt the newer calipers to our stock hubs and maybe run the newer rotor too.