NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kilo_whiskey

Reaction score
You want the knuckles, hubs and CV half shafts off a nbs half ton. Spindles are for 2wd.

Now is a good time to refresh bjs, tie rods, pitman and idler, that way you wont need another alignment when they go.

I have the write up with pictures, pm me with your email
Coveman, any chance you could send this to me also? I've been looking for this fix for a long time.

laxman21

Reaction score
Were the brakes bled with a bi-directional scan tool? The proper way to bleed the ABS involves cycling it electronically.

The proper way tho bleed the system is:

Bleed the brakes like normal.
Do the ABS Automated Bleed Procedure
Bleed the brakes one more time like normal.

Make sure the drums are adjusted properly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

No scan tool? Can try this

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Triple

Reaction score
Ah, this seems to indicate new shafts are needed for 2500/3500:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...h/502106-obs-nbs-k2500-hub-swap-possible.html

http://www.vortec454.com/index_files/Page697.htm

Still, do-able if you want to spend the cash....

I seem to remember the gents who were putting 2500 shafts into 1500's were machining down to the outside diameter of the outer joint to get it to fit...

Anyone have a current, working link for that old Vortec454 write-up?

The FSC link no longer works, either, but I found the new one:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/threads/obs-to-nbs-k2500-hub-swap-possible.457204/

Anyone else performed this upgrade on their 3/4 or 1-ton? I'm gathering info/parts for my 99 K3500.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if I wanted to convert to 8 lug, I would need the knuckles off an HD? I thought someone used LD knuckles. Trying to convert to 3/4 stuff so have 4.10s and 8 lugs, before I commit to an SAS....

97 bowtie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this break upgrade on my 97k 1500 about a year ago along with the Nbs master cylinder and all new stainless steel lines. Best upgrade I have ever done to the truck in the 5 plus years I’ve owned her

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
I did this break upgrade on my 97k 1500 about a year ago along with the Nbs master cylinder and all new stainless steel lines. Best upgrade I have ever done to the truck in the 5 plus years I’ve owned her

You must be registered for see images attach
Have any more piks? I plan on doing this swap soon.