MYT HI's SAS questions and build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Lately I have been seriously thinking about SASing, I have a really tight budget on this so looking for the best ways to do this. I've been trying to gather up a list on what I would need for the swap. I also am looking for a little lift. I don't want the truck way sky high as I plan to DD it.

I think for the rear I'm going to do a ORD shackle flip, seems like the easiest thing to do for the lift I want. (price $167)

For the front I have a Dana 44 passenger drop axle, so I'm good on that part. What do I need for that?

The brackets I wanna make the front ones, but could use some measurements on how to make them. I've read that rear hangers and shackles off of a 73-87 would work. I have a set off a late 90s. would those work?

Steering. I've also read that I need crossover steering, that that would require a whole new system. I could use some help on that for sure.

For the t-case I know I need to have a 90-91 blazer or burb t-case in order to make my speedo work.

The cross member that the tranny sits on will have to be addressed as we get there.

Leaf spring wise I have a rear set off a 2500 late 90s. I understand I would get a real rough ride if I were to use them, but if I were to want to, could I?

I would like to have a sway bar on this too. could I use the one I got with the axle or the stock one on my truck? I'll need some help here too.

I got a lot more info I need to get before I can do the swap, but this is a start.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Subbed im all for learning more about SAS

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lately I have been seriously thinking about SASing, I have a really tight budget on this so looking for the best ways to do this. I've been trying to gather up a list on what I would need for the swap. I also am looking for a little lift. I don't want the truck way sky high as I plan to DD it.

I think for the rear I'm going to do a ORD shackle flip, seems like the easiest thing to do for the lift I want. (price $167)

For the front I have a Dana 44 passenger drop axle, so I'm good on that part. What do I need for that?

If it is actually a D44 with flattop knuckles then you will just have to get the passenger side knuckle machined, drilled and tapped for a steering arm. If a corp 10 bolt you will have to source a passenger side flattop knuckle or pair to match. D44 have the tre taper going top down, 10 bolt is bottom up

The brackets I wanna make the front ones, but could use some measurements on how to make them. I've read that rear hangers and shackles off of a 73-87 would work. I have a set off a late 90s. would those work?

If I remember right the rear hangers need to be 4" from the back to the centerline where the spring bolts in, that will give you the 31.5" spring pad width when welded flat on the inside on the frame.

Steering. I've also read that I need crossover steering, that that would require a whole new system. I could use some help on that for sure.

Cross over is the way to go, you can use the factory 73-91 draglink ends or tre's and a piece of DOM tubing, either have the tubing tapped for 7/8" threads or buy larger tubing and use a weld in insert.

For the t-case I know I need to have a 90-91 blazer or burb t-case in order to make my speedo work.

The cross member that the tranny sits on will have to be addressed as we get there.

Leaf spring wise I have a rear set off a 2500 late 90s. I understand I would get a real rough ride if I were to use them, but if I were to want to, could I?

Late 90's rear springs are 63" long. You would have to really extend the front of your frame to get the axle centered in the wheel well. You want the springs from the 73-91 trucks/suv's. Rears will be 52" long, ad approx. 4" lift (plus brackets) and allow more flex, fronts are 47" and can be had in many different lift heights but will be stiffer.

I would like to have a sway bar on this too. could I use the one I got with the axle or the stock one on my truck? I'll need some help here too.

I got a lot more info I need to get before I can do the swap, but this is a start.

I never feel the need for a sway bar on my 92 for my use but if it was to be a DD I would probably look into it. There is some body roll with the 52's, nothing terrible but is there.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
thanks for all the help. i did some checking today and I'm pretty sure I have a Corp 10. so that means i have to find a different knuckle?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
things ive learned doing an SAS if you can weld its much much easier to use stock springs perches, mounts, stock gmt400 sway bars and so on.

secondly reinforce the area by your frame where your panhard goes it takes some abuse and ive found the earlier trucks like to rip the frame there when attaching your steering.

as far as springs go, i think they are the BDS softrides are the damn near best for all around comfort.

crossmember: its easy enough to weld the two together and brace it a little bit, crossover steering is a must and its very very simple to do, eventually you can go full hydro or buy a stabilizer or four if you feel the need.

i take it your sticking with gm axles as you want to run the blazer tcase. you looking at 44, 10 bolt, or 60?

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Here is my build thread for my SAS specifically. I'm not 100% finished yet but am trucking along as we speak. DirtRidinZ71 has a great thread as well, very informative and helped me alot as I went.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?23789-Skee-s-97-Stepside-SAS-Thread

Also check out 88GMCTruck, Solid94, and AaronB's threads. They helped me alot as well. I'm sure any of us would be glad to help out. I am currently working on diagrams for people who want to make their own brackets based off the ones I am using. Those will be posted in my SAS thread, along with a parts list/price list with links to the items.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
I happen to have a ten bolt laying out back so that's what I want to use

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone