My truck is a killer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I had issues withe the right side taillight board since new, and then went many years after swapping to an Oriellys board (Dorman, I think), after trying several other options. That board finally went bad last year, and I replaced both sides with new TYC lights (everything).

My cab lights would always burn out, and I stopped bothering with them years ago..... I assume they're all burned out, now. I've got new housings, but never installed them.

StephenSmith

Reaction score
Just rolled 191k miles: 4 cheap rebuilds between my grandfather and father, and when it came to me I had it rebuilt with some goodies. Maybe I'll get a few thousand more miles out of it this round lol.

All that work at 191k ?? I own a 1995 Silverado C1500, extended cab, 360k original miles, 5.7l TBI, rebuilt 4l60e at 350k. Never had a major issue. Just typical maintenance.

However, I recently completely gutted the interior, had the seats recovered, replaced dash, carpet/padding, and headliner. Repainted all the trim. I’m about to pull the trigger and get her restored with a new engine and rear end. I bought her new and can’t give her up.

Reaction score
All that work at 191k ?? I own a 1995 Silverado C1500, extended cab, 360k original miles, 5.7l TBI, rebuilt 4l60e at 350k. Never had a major issue. Just typical maintenance.

However, I recently completely gutted the interior, had the seats recovered, replaced dash, carpet/padding, and headliner. Repainted all the trim. I’m about to pull the trigger and get her restored with a new engine and rear end. I bought her new and can’t give her up.

Yep. I'm figuring every poorly done tranny rebuild ended up necessitating another rebuild not long after. That being said, she's only left me stranded once - forgot the gas gauge is only an approximation at best and ran her dry like a mile from the house lol

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I've always wanted to do that with a new truck but I was born too late and I don't like any of the current offerings. [emoji1787]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone else's truck kill things on the regular?

My truck kills a battery about every 2 years, which I've know for the last 15 years or so.

If you like in a hot dry place like Phoenix and don't add water to the battery every 6 months you will kill a battery in 2 years. Seen one last 10 and average is 4 for me with adding water as stated. Nobody mentioned that. Surprised as it's like high school auto shop info - but is a trade secret to sell batteries - lead acid anyways

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you like in a hot dry place like Phoenix and don't add water to the battery every 6 months you will kill a battery in 2 years. Seen one last 10 and average is 4 for me with adding water as stated. Nobody mentioned that. Surprised as it's like high school auto shop info - but is a trade secret to sell batteries - lead acid anyways
I grew up off grid powering our house off of 6-volt golf cart batteries so I actually knew that. [emoji16]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My Burb apparently has killed the upstream O2 sensor that I replaced in February last year. Took it to my girl at o'Reilly and that's the code it set, that turned the stupid light on.
Good news is, when I change it and take it back, it has a lifetime warranty, so I can get my $53 back!
I've replaced the downstream ones a couple times each in the 8 years we've had this Burb, but they're much easier to change in the driveway.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
My '97s both kill EVO column sensors about once a year... No idea what's up with that. I always replace them with OEM GM sensors.

My EVO system is starting to fail, so im just gonna delete that crap. I don't need it. Especially when it likes to forcibly sling my steering wheel to full lock from more than a half turn out from lock.