My second 89 Shortbox project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you pull the diff cover and immediately feel inferior lol.... The dreaded 2:73 one wheel peel....4:11 on the way with a Spartan locker :) .... Soaked everything with PB blaster ,removal was easy ,replaced both trashed rear wheel cylinders and drums last night ...so while I was in there I thought I would peek at the differential to see what I had as this thing sat for many years.....
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey you’re back! Can’t wait to see some more progress.
Thanks Fancy ...yes lifes been busy so back to the toy lol....sold some parts to fund the final home stretch repairs and the rearend gear going in...then FINALLY taxes ,title , insurance and take her for her inaugural spin after all this time building it .......my goal is to be behind the wheel in April...tx for the support.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UUUgh ...absolutely horrible night in the garage tonight....got my gearset today and proceeded to do my first step and remove my cross shaft retainer bolt and it broke off in the carrier -noooooooooooooo......Apparently this is a very common occurance. So I bought an extractor kit several people online have used with luck and we will see if I can get the nub out :( ...I tried for 45 minutes with picks,lube etc. - it simply isnt budging. I had one of those I should have left it alone moments afterwards lol.....ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING. If I cant get the bolt nub out I am going to have to destroy the carrrier and buy a replacement carrier :(.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
UUUgh ...absolutely horrible night in the garage tonight....got my gearset today and proceeded to do my first step and remove my cross shaft retainer bolt and it broke off in the carrier -noooooooooooooo......Apparently this is a very common occurance. So I bought an extractor kit several people online have used with luck and we will see if I can get the nub out :( ...I tried for 45 minutes with picks,lube etc. - it simply isnt budging. I had one of those I should have left it alone moments afterwards lol.....ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING. If I cant get the bolt nub out I am going to have to destroy the carrrier and buy a replacement carrier :(.

??? Why? Worst case remove the carrier, put it on the bench, and deal with it there. Just be sure to catch the shims and keep them separated left and right.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
??? Why? Worst case remove the carrier, put it on the bench, and deal with it there. Just be sure to catch the shims and keep them separated left and right.
If the bolt nub is permanently stuck and wont come out of the cross shaft how can you remove the carrier ?

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best $35 I ever spent for this crossbolt - broken bolt extractor kit ....drilled for 2.5 minutes total time ,stopping every 30 secs to put in some lube....I put in the spiral extractor and it came out first try .....I think the key is the 2 plastic threaded guides that come in the kit and keep the drill bit centered ....wheeeew

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never done a gear change before ...so here's a few pics O tonight's work ... I was able to get the ring gear on heating it with a torch and pounding it with a rubber mallet . I got the new pinion bearing on the new pinion by heating it in a pan of oil on the stove to ~350 then I was able to put it on the pinion shaft and tap it down with this 3" peace of exhaust pipe I modified and folded over on its end so tapping wouldn't damage the bearing . It went on pretty easy after heating it I was shocked this method worked . I'm going to have to put this thing in and out to get it right I can tell already 20 times. I stopped tonight as I was getting frustrated. So I will continue on it in a day or two getting the preload ,backlash and pattern dialed in .