My second 89 Shortbox project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt want to be in the weeds ...still want it to be a truck lol.....so just a subtle lowering.....so with the drop shackles in the back -that only dropped it 1.5 inches back there to 34.5 ....so I chopped 1.1 front coils and it dropped it exactly 2.0 inches from 33.75 to 31.75 to the front fender lip. Its probably not done settling yet ...time will tell but I am happy with the subtle change. Its raining here so I had to take a garage shot.....after on top , before on bottom.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update ...its dropped another .25 inch overnight on the front coils to 31.5 ....I guess the coils are settling in. Back remains unchanged at 34.5 with 2" rear drop shackles. I was told to loosen the rear shackles since I didnt get a full 2" drop and retighten them on the ground and it made no difference in the settled height. So 2.25" drop on the front from cutting 1.1 coils .....one and one tenth coil length. 34.5 back 31.5 front.

Last edited:

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aaaand another update it still settling . I measured the front this am and its settled another .4 inch to 31.1 . I hope it stops settling soon. This is just sitting there I am not even driving it yet. I bounced it a ton aggressively multiple times without the shocks installed after cutting to make sure they were seated right - which they most certainly are .

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This LS 5.3 engine has a sloppy stage 2 cam .....so I felt the single 3" exhaust wasnt doing it justice with its 2 chamber single muffler and single tailpipe lol....I usually go for a low rumble but no pronounced drone in the cab ...... I guess I am ok making it a little more like a Harley these days . So I bought an ebay 1-3" in to 2- 2.5 out pipes single chamber muffler with over the axle twin tailpipes. When the box came it turned out to be a "Full Boar" brand muffler , welded ,single chamber. I then got on Amazox and for Amazox days I bought these 2 -4" exhaust finishers . I like the look . Definitely louder and suited more to the character of the truck. May need some earplugs on long hauls to shows :) . Still need to do some left right spacing / tweaking but its on there .

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The air dam really makes the front look great. I like the exhaust too! And that’s coming from a guy who generally dislikes exhaust setups like that. I’ve really enjoyed watching this truck come together. Is that an aftermarket air dam?

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The air dam really makes the front look great. I like the exhaust too! And that’s coming from a guy who generally dislikes exhaust setups like that. I’ve really enjoyed watching this truck come together. Is that an aftermarket air dam?
Thanks Fancy.....yes ebay aftermarket special lol...my truck had the dual recovery hooks and corresponding hook cutouts in the original air dam - so I removed them and went with a smoothie dam instead . I got the exhaust tips spaced properly now and reduced some "poke" slightly so I like the look too. It changed the sound ever so slightly too..... I just have the rear brakes to fix and I can finally tag, tax, title,insure and start driving it. Its been a long road . Since the truck sat for years with the p.o. tons of stuff were in disrepair . Thanks for the compliments .

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket ones just don’t snug up as well as OE. But they are nice and crisp otherwise. I snagged an OE one from the yard and it is all marred from road debris. Rear brakes will be an easy job then you can put some miles on her!