my 4l60e buuldup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy

Reaction score
I've been working of my transmission a few hours a night for the past week and wanted to share my progress. It was filthy to start with. Had to use a spray bottle with water and dish soap and a screw driver to clear most of the bolts
You must be registered for see images attach

got the Tcase out

Started cleaning up the Tcase

and the Transmission is out finally

cleaning up the transmission

started tearing down and inspecting

my valve body bolt map

hard parts removed

disassembled the pump

bunt 3-4 clutch pack

input drum with new frictions and steels. Went with a 7 friction setup. got .034" on the forward pack and .043 on the 3-4. Also installed new boost springs

valve body dissembled for cleaning

hard parts reinstalled in the case

I picked up a new 3-4 accumulator piston, purple (stiffer) springs for the 1-2 and the 3-4 and vett servo. Ill have to finish it up next week.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this your first time digging into your trans. I would like to do this to mine! Where did you get all your new parts from?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Props for doing this yourself. I'm not opposed to wrenching a little myself, but transmissions are something I leave to the pros. Hope it turns out well!

jedifan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! I haven't done a project as complicated as this on my truck. Good job!

andy

Reaction score
Thanks. It's really not that hard. I've removed several transmissions before, did a built 80e swap in my 700awhp 01 Sierra C3 so I'm pretty confident in my mechanical abilities.

TerryKing

Reaction score
...so I'm pretty confident in my mechanical abilities.

Please tell us more about what information / book / experience you are using. Many of us have done engine top / bottom rebuilds, running gear stuff, and feel confident of that, but the internals of Auto Transmissions seems beyond us. How did you get past that?

Thanks!

andy

Reaction score
I have the atra manual as well as the gm service manual. And just read other peoples post about building transmissions. There's no black magic involved. Its pretty strait forward. Just make sure your clutch packs are at the proper clearance and follow the manual. Clean everything before you assemble and have a large clean area to work.

andy

Reaction score
The new wide band vs the stock

Got the rest of the internals installed. Everything went in super easy. I was really surprised. Especially for the band. It slid right in. Had to used A #70 selective washer to get the end play to .016" it had a #68 and had about .038"

Valve body and filter installed. I got a new accumulator piston for the 3-4 and purple (stiffer) springs. I drilled the 2, 3 & 4 shift holes to .084" to allow a little faster firmer shift. That along with the vett servo should be nice