My 454 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that o-ring is not in there right, it will cause pressure problems. I should have thought of that earlier

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have both grounds at the thermostat.
I'm going to bet there is a O ring stuck in there.
I have a nearly pristine 7.4 fuel rail on the shelf. I took what im sure is the original FPR out of it and the little O ring was stuck inside so i would bet the one on the truck has one.
The one i just removed from the extra fuel rail im pretty sure is stock from gm. It holds a vacuum so i assume works and as a bonus it is adjustable type that is not made anymore.
Since i have to take it apart tomorrow and make sure the O ring is there im going to try the old regulator and see what it pumps up to.
Here is a pic of the one i installed last fall and removed last weekend next to the old one from my spare fuel rail.
You must be registered for see images attach

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That little o-ring is often missing from aftermarket fpr kits. the assembly should look like the one on the right. Make sure the old one is not jacked up stuck in there. use a little light oil on both o-rings going back together. dang 2 cent part can cause a ton of pia.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have both grounds at the thermostat.
I'm going to bet there is a O ring stuck in there.
I have a nearly pristine 7.4 fuel rail on the shelf. I took what im sure is the original FPR out of it and the little O ring was stuck inside so i would bet the one on the truck has one.
The one i just removed from the extra fuel rail im pretty sure is stock from gm. It holds a vacuum so i assume works and as a bonus it is adjustable type that is not made anymore.
Since i have to take it apart tomorrow and make sure the O ring is there im going to try the old regulator and see what it pumps up to.
Here is a pic of the one i installed last fall and removed last weekend next to the old one from my spare fuel rail.
You must be registered for see images attach
They still make them that are adjustable. I have one on my marine intake after the old one started leaking into the vacuum hose.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The larger black ground wire i have no idea where it connects to the frame at and im not gonna unwrap what could be several feet to find it. I did Ohm check it and the reading is 02.3
At work anything under 20.0 ohm is considered good so i assume my ground is good also.
2.3 ohms is high. I look for 0.2 or less.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could splice into the ground wire and make a new ground point if i need to but first i really need to get at that FPR and make sure it has that little O ring.
Good news is i have had the upper intake off enough times i can actually do it pretty fast now :doh2:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Copied this from someplace.

METHOD OF VERIFYING ' GOOD ELECTRICAL SYSTEM GROUND ' #87-8-139 - (Apr 7, 1987)
VEHICLES AFFECTED: ALL MODELS

When diagnosing electronic systems for incorrect operation, it is often necessary to verify that ground circuits are good. This article is intended to clarify what is meant by the term "good ground" and the preferred tools and methods for verifying it.

A "good ground" is a ground circuit that has a resistance of zero OHMS.

Ground circuit resistance can be measured in OHMS using a digital volt OHM meter (DVOM). When using a DVOM, it must be set on the 200 OHM scale to obtain an accurate measure of the circuit resistance. Many meters have both a 200 OHM scale and a 200 K scale. The 200 K scale will not measure zero OHMS accurately. If you are not sure how the meter is to be set for the 200 OHM scale, refer to the meter operating instructions for proper settings. If the meter is an autoranging or self-scaling meter, read the meter carefully to be sure which scale it is setting itself to.

Before measuring resistance in any circuit, the resistance of the meter should be measured by touching the leads together. A meter with a good battery and leads in good condition will read less than .2 OHMS usually zero. If the leads measure anything more, an accurate measure of the circuit resistance may not be possible.

Always remember - resistance cannot be measured accurately on a "live" circuit, All current flow through a circuit must be stopped by disconnecting its power source before measuring resistance.

Ground circuit resistance can also be checked by measuring the voltage drop across the circuit with a DVOM set on, the 2 volt scale. The voltage drop will be zero across a "good ground" circuit.

Remember, fully understand a meter's functions before using it!

General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.