My 1990 C1500 SWB Build - Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Same purpose and style as an 88-97 sending unit. If you want to use this in a 98-00 OBS, you'll have to switch to a 97 and down tank.

Does it just make it easier to run beefed up wiring to? Or are the feed and return bigger too?

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Does it just make it easier to run beefed up wiring to? Or are the feed and return bigger too?

Correct. The wiring is much more robust, compared to the oem stuff. No fiddling required.

The feed is slightly larger, no kinks like the necked down oem stuff.

Both feed and return are larger than oem.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I drove the 'burb on Tuesday...was going to get the '49 out, but the battery was dead.

Hows the AR5 working out?

So far, so good. The "newness" of a manual trans has worn off, so i'm a bit nicer to it, when driving.

It's a joy to drive, doesn't really drive like a truck transmission. I still need to track down a DRAC / VSSB module, wire the speed sending unit from the AR5 to the module, so I can have factory cruise and speedometer. It's been so hot lately, I haven't had alot of motivation.

I do have an appointment Friday the 2nd, to have a set of tailpipes built.

It's nice to get the older stuff out on occasion and drive 'em. I understand the dead battery deal.

No jump box?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So far, so good. The "newness" of a manual trans has worn off, so i'm a bit nicer to it, when driving.

It's a joy to drive, doesn't really drive like a truck transmission. I still need to track down a DRAC / VSSB module, wire the speed sending unit from the AR5 to the module, so I can have factory cruise and speedometer. It's been so hot lately, I haven't had alot of motivation.

It's nice to get the older stuff out on occasion and drive 'em. I understand the dead battery deal.

No jump box?

I wonder if you couldn't just spit out the PCM conditioned VSS signal to those accessories and forego the DRAC and all that crap?

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I wonder if you couldn't just spit out the PCM conditioned VSS signal to those accessories and forego the DRAC and all that crap?

The Holley Terminator X WONT accept the signal this ar5 produces, it'd require a converter box, like a dakota digital or some variant.

So, the most cost effective thing to do, aside from a GPS speedometer sending unit, would be wiring from the AR5 speed sender, to the DRAC / VSSB and actually having a good speedometer and cruise signal.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score

No jump box?

Glad to hear its working out.

I do have a jump box, but didn't want to dick around with it...the 'burb was already running and pulled out of the shop, so just easier to jump in it and go.

s98gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decent morning for a drive to work in this old bucket of bolts!

You must be registered for see images attach

My C1500 came with what looks to be the same hood. The truck needed some body work and repainted when I got it and I debated getting a stock hood. My cousin and his friend talked me out of it but years later I'm still not 100% sold on the looks. It's a pain in the ass cleaning the windshield simply because the passenger side wiper arm hits the hood before it'll rest in the upright position. Having said that, it does look cool from the driver seat. Nice picture.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Holley Terminator X WONT accept the signal this ar5 produces, it'd require a converter box, like a dakota digital or some variant.

So, the most cost effective thing to do, aside from a GPS speedometer sending unit, would be wiring from the AR5 speed sender, to the DRAC / VSSB and actually having a good speedometer and cruise signal.

Ahh, already forgot a out the Holley, was totally thinking 411.